Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jeremiah Johnson

Old 09-03-2004, 11:09 AM

Default Jeremiah Johnson

Saw this again last night on TV. Was this the best, most inspiring, mountain man, muzzleloading movie you ever saw? The "kills", particularly the elk, sure looked realistic.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Jeremiah Johnson

Of course, this movie inspired me to want to play with ML guns. I remember watching this as a kid and wanting to get my hands on a "Genuine Hawken". The part where he tore the gun from the frozen hands of "Hatchet Jack" imprinted in my mind forever.

"I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs...."

The one thing I can't remember is whether the guns were flintlock or PC. I'm not up on period history enough to have noticed. Next time I'll pay attention. Caliber also seemed important. I remember the reference to what caliber was best in a mountain rifle. Anyway, the interest it sparked in me was finally realized this year. It took that long to get one as my Dad had no interest in ML. Back in the 70's, hunters didn't seem to be interested in "handicapping" themselves, so my Dad would have said.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

i really like that movie....i own it.....i just wish he would used a flintlock!! lol......
Old 09-03-2004, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

Thats one of the best movies of all time IMO.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:49 PM
Dominant Buck

How are you at skinnin Grizzz???

Great movie to be sure. I watch it all the time. Yes some of the scenes were very realistic. I think he was using a .50 caliber Hawkins cap lock that he got from Hatchet Jack. (I kilt the barr and now he Kilt me..)

Now I am going to have to drag that out and watch it again...
Old 09-03-2004, 02:20 PM

Voice over from the scene "Now he had a genuine Hawken, It was only a .30, but it was a genuine Hawken...a man couldn't do no better."

Either it was a reeeaaallly small bore, or the writer/technical advisor got it way wrong and it wasn't caught in editing.

JJ was ok, but I liked The Mountain Men with Charleton Heston and Brian Keith better.
CH: "You don't know horse**** from hog jowls, Henry, them are Crows!"
BK: "Blackfoot, God Dammit! I know injun sign!"

Better dialouge, that's for sure.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:22 PM

They were using cap locks by then. He bought a 45 Cal at first (it was all he could get), then he got a Hawken, in 50 Cal, from the deceased Hatchet Jack.
Yes, that's why I bought a 50 Cal TC Hawken kit back in the 70's, after this movie came out. Still have it, still hunt with it too.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

"I carried me a squaw once. I took her into a town and traded her for a hawken gun"

Seems Hawkens were popular. A squaw would've come in handy too though. That would've been a hard decision to make.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:20 AM

Find yourself a copy of the biography of Jeremiah Johnston called "Liver-eating Johnston". It was a well researched and documented book written while people that had known him were still alive. It's what the movie was loosely based on. If they had told the real story in the movie it would have been to incredible for anyone to have believed it.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have read that the true story is that he avenged the killing of his family by hunting down the indians who killed his family. After he killed them he would eat their hearts and livers. WOW, that is way past getting even!

Quick Reply: Jeremiah Johnson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.