Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Why should I choose loose powder? >

Why should I choose loose powder?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Why should I choose loose powder?

Old 08-29-2004, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why should I choose loose powder?

Im just curious as to if there are any pros or cons to loose powder Ive always shot pyrodex pellets and went to 777 pellets last year but alot of people on here seem to like loose powder so why?
Old 08-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Why should I choose loose powder?

First it is a matter of cost. Second is I do not want to have to have 50 grain and 30 grain pellets around to make up some of the different loads I like.

I can custom load a rifle much better with the loose powder. I have one rifle that like 75 grains of powder. I am sure that you can make up very effective loads with the pellets. I personally do not want to mess with them. I just take my measure, pour from the horn until it is full, cut the charge and dump.

I will say that I have a friend who comes over to shoot here once in a while, and he swears he can get tighter groups shooting pellets. I have seen him shoot, and they are impressive groups. He explains that he gets a more perfect measured load using pellets then loose, which might be true. But still, I will stay with the loose.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like cayugad said!

1) Cost (less)
2) Flexibility (Custom loading for development)
3) T7 Loose is more potent than pyrodex Loose -T7 loose 15% hotter(T7 & Pyrodex pellets forms are the exact same)

In my area the inline users use pellets for hunting(a couple trips to the range and off to the woods) but the guys who like to plink or tinker shoot loose. I have used both and what makes the decision for me come fall is based months of T&E prior. Loose or pellets are both fine as long as your satisfied and confident with the results.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

loose is great for those who only shoot at paper, but pellets are much more convenient for the hunter.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

also pellets can be cheaper just have to look for deals I got a case of 50/50 pyrodex pellets for 50 bucks at a garage sale. Esspecially look at walmart after the hunting season is over they mark those on clearence for about 50% off. But when you do find a deal you have to buy it up.
make sure you have a good supply for untill you come across more deals. the stuff has pretty decsent shelf life Ive been told about 10 years. its about time for me to find some more since my case I bought last year is about all used up I have 2 packages left
Old 08-30-2004, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I not sure why you would consider pellets more convienent in the field. I understand that they are touted because it is "faster" to reload in the field. However, how many shots do you actually shoot in the field? 1-2 at the most generally in my experience, so reloading is not that big of an issue. With my speed loaders, I suspect that I can reload as quickly as just about anyone in the field. Never used pellets, so I don't know, but are they easy to break? Do you have to take extra precautions with them? If you drop your possibles bag too hard will they possibly crack? I don't know the answers to those questions, but in my opinion, powder can be just as convienent in the field.

To each his own. Not saying my way is better. Only that it is better for me.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:32 AM

I had been using pellets in my inline as well. The CVA Firebolt I have I was shooting 100 grains or 2 pellets, of Tripple 7. I will be only shooting loose powder for 2 reasons, the cost, and it's easier to have only one powder for 2 ML's, my other gun is a Traditions flint. Also, I was at Dick's Sporting goods this weekend and Tripple 7 pellets was $39.99. I could not believe the price. I picked up the Tripple 7 loose powder at Gander Mountain on sale, for only $16.99. Normally it's about $19.99 for 1 pound.

Tom
Old 08-30-2004, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been told that loose has a much faster ignition. My flintlock is designed for pellets but I probably never will use them. Using the loose is easy enough, I can't see where the cost of pellets is justified.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im just curious as to if there are any pros or cons to loose powder Ive always shot pyrodex pellets and went to 777 pellets last year but alot of people on here seem to like loose powder so why?
Due to safety reasons, 777 pellets are "power-matched" to the weaker Pyrodex Pellets to offer approximently the same velocity/energy.

In order to match the two powders, you receive the 50-grain equivalent in that 777 pellet.... not the 50-grain loose volume. So in essence, it makes more sense to buy loose 777 because a typical 777 pellet in 50 grain gives you the same power as 42 grains (average) of 777 loose. Also... don't forget that you paying 33-40% more money for that 42-grain (fps) pellet.

Since Hodgdon Inc. makes both Pyrodex & 777, I will side-step my screen name here to the left of this page & recommend that all pellet shooters buy Pyrodex pellets because it offers the same bang for alot less bucks. . Minus the stink & a little more cleaning maintenance -- that's the difference in these 2 powders.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

MY pellets seem to do fine for me an price isant to big of an issue my muzzle loader somes out for sight in and hunting so I have about 1/2 the original pack of pyrodex pellets I got with my M/L about 4 years ago and Ive shot maby 1/4 of my 777 pellets last year so it last me a long time so for $30 or so it can last me many years one reason ive never considered loose is because my traditions has a muzzle break and I figure some of my powder would blow out the holes when im pouring it but thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Why should I choose loose powder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.