Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 50 cal omega problems >

50 cal omega problems

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

50 cal omega problems

Old 08-25-2004, 11:32 AM

Default 50 cal omega problems

Well I was wondering if anyone else had a problem sighting in there TC omega?
mine shoots 6" high at 50yds and there is no more adjustment.
I am shooting power belts 348gr, 120 gr of pyrodex loose powder.

I am hunting elk in colorado so i cann't go with a scope.

any help or insight would be appreciated.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 50 cal omega problems

Hello New Yorker

Assuming everything is tight on your rifle ...ie... sights... stock.. etc....

Contact T/C by phone or fax.
call us at: 603-332-2333, or fax us at: 603-332-5133

When the lady answers at T/C, ask for the gun technician ( I think his name is Jack). Tell him over the phone that you suspect having the wrong front sight on your new Omega & you are shooting too high with no more adjustment room. He's dealt with 100s of complaints because that factory also makes another rifle for T/C & once a year, a disgruntled employee (hi-lo driver) brings the wrong bayle of sights to the Omega assembly line & I'm guessing the unbrained robot doesn't know the difference.

If you should receive any flak over the phone, come back here & post an update on what's going on.

Replacement is easy.... good luck with your new rifle.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

nyelk: What I didn't see in triple 7's post is that they should send you a lower sight free.

Also, you didn't say what rear sight you are using. Are you using the factory original rear "V" type sight, or did you put a rear peep on it? If you are using the rear peep, then the factory front sight is generally too tall and again, just call as instructed and they will send you a shorter one out at no charge. I also ordered an extra (which I paid for) in case the original gets broken in the field.

Better hurry! Good luck
Old 08-25-2004, 06:09 PM

Hello If your using the original open sights. Are you moving your sights towards the rear to lower your shots??
Old 08-26-2004, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oops, I didn't catch that either stickshooter. If his bullet is stricking too high, the front sight he is using is too short, right.

My original problem is that with my peep sight, the bullet was hitting too low and that was fixed with a lower front sight. In his case, he would need a taller front sight or a shorter back sight.. Correct?

In other words, to lower the point of impact, you would raise the front sight or lower the rear sight. I think that is correct.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:25 AM

Aside from adjusting the sights, which for some reason you state you can not do, I would try lowering the charge. 120 grains of any powder is a lot. Have you ever tried 80, 90, or 100 grains with this bullet?

Try a lower charge and see if it helps any.

Tom
Old 08-26-2004, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea I did catch that "too high" post... that's why I never mentioned the front sight swap. Maybe the disgruntled employee has switched to wrong rear sights? I dunno for sure but that call to Jack Tech should pinpoint the problem.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:21 AM

I am using the factory sights, and have called T/C and talked with Ron. He is sending me free of charge another front sight. This will be the second sight they have sent me, the first sight they sent was the same as the one on the gun. He also said that i could send the barrel back, but i think I waited too long for that to be an option.

How low of a charge will be effective for elk? I have been down to 100 gr. with no real change...I am new to the ML seen...

I'm still shooting the gun for the practice and get very good grouping. I might try some shim stock if the new sight doesn't work, then send the barrel back after the hunt.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:42 AM

You did not state if you were shooting pellets versus loose powder? But anyway, the extra 20 grains may or may not give you much more speed from your gun. I try to keep all my loads at 100 grains or less. The flint I shoot 80 grains, with the 295 PB Aero tip. I have a friend that shoots the CVA Optima at 50 yards, with scope, is shooting 100 grains of Triple 7, pellets, and was shooting the 348 Hollow point. He was hitting almost bulls eye after several shots.

I don't believe the drop in charge will help you with your problem, but get's you at the 100 grain mark.

You did not state what kind of sights you have, but you know you can purchase Tru-glow sights, front and rear. Usually, I don't move the front sight at all, only the rear sight. There are screws in the Tru-glow sights I have to allow for modifications, like what you require.

Please let us know that type of sights you have. This will help....

Tom
Old 08-26-2004, 10:16 PM
Typical Buck

Relative to amount of charge for Elk. Two years ago I shot a 600 lb. Cow Elk from about 80 yards with a short barrel T/C .50cal. using 80 grains of clean shot and a 348gr. powerbelt bullet. The bullet turned sideways and may have actually keyholed as the clean shot was probably not powerful enough to upset the Powerbelt properly (CVA said the pressure rise on that powder was too slow). The bullet went through the left front shoulder through the center of the heart and stuck in the rib/shoulder area on the far side. The plastic tip was still in the bullet and the side was somewhat flattened. I now use an Omega and about 80 grains of Pyrodex or 777 with the same bullet and am not concerned that I have enough power. If you shoot well over 100 yards that might change things but at 100 yards or less 80 grains of powder with a 348gr bullet is plenty. I may change to 300gr. Hornady SST and up the charge a little to closer to 100 grains depending on how the combination shoots. The Hornady bullet really looks cool and I have a lot of respect for the Hornady people.

Quick Reply: 50 cal omega problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.