Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Thompson Center Shock Waves? >

Thompson Center Shock Waves?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson Center Shock Waves?

Old 08-22-2004, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Thompson Center Shock Waves?

anyone ever tried these? I just saw a commercial for them on tv and they were saying power belts were getting a 2' group at 200yds. and the shock wave had a 2" group at the same distance so im curious as to if this is true? i started shooting power belts last year but if these shock waves are as good as they say im gunna have to go buy some. thanks,sean
Old 08-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Thompson Center Shock Waves?

Shockwaves shoot excellent in most rifles. Out of my Black Diamond XR I have shot groups that measured under an inch at 100 yards. Whether I could shoot a 2" group at 200 yards... maybe with practice and a better scope on my rifle.

If the powerbelts are shooting great out of your rifle and doing the job, there is nothing wrong with trying the shockwaves. At least you have a load to fall back on if they are not accurate. I shoot shockwaves out of the Black Diamond with 110 grains of Goex FFFg. In my Knight I shoot 90 grains of FFFg. In my CVA Staghorn I shoot 90 grain of FFg. All of them shoot shockwaves very well.

Good luck with your rifle....
Old 08-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The power belts shot pretty good last year even though I diddent shoot to many of them I basiclly just bought a pack just before the season and made sure they shot where my old loads did and called it a day But ill pick up a pack of shock waves and try them out here soon. Are they very expensive or are they about average priced?
Old 08-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Dominant Buck

I just bought a 15 pack of 250 grain T/C Shockwaves w/sabots in .50 caliber at Wal Mart last week for $7.95. So they are cheaper then Powerbelts but not as cheap as say the T/C Cheapshots 240 grains.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats a good price I was just makeing sure I wasent going to get to the store and discover there $30 or something thanks
Old 08-23-2004, 06:11 AM

I picked up the TC Shockwaves last year, when I resighted in my ML. The only problem I had with them compared to the power belts is they broke my loader. They were so hard to load. I have since gone back to power belts. Since my loader broke, I can use my thumb to load the PB.

The only other thing I like about the Shockwaves, was the pric, about half of the PB's.

Tom
Old 08-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tom

What rifle are you using? Is it 50 caliber?

That bullet, unlike it's sister (Hornady SST) should load relatively easy in 50 cal rifles. The only time I experienced tough loading with T/C sabot/bullets was when I experimented using Ballistol & Lehigh Valley lube as swabbing agents between shots. The bore, when warmed, would get sticky/gummy.. making it difficult to load bullets. I've since went back to alky/windex spray which keeps the bore smooth & non-tacky.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:46 AM

Triple se7en,

Yes, I am using a 50 cal. It's a CVA Firebolt, and I had a devil of a time loading them. I normally use the number 13 ML bore cleaner after a few shots, 2 or 3, shooting Triple 7 but I had problems loading them from the very first shot.

The bullet was the TC Shockwave Sabot, the one with the yellow tip with black plastic, 250 grain.

Cabela's has them on their website but I picked them up at the local Wal-Mart store.

They broke the tip off my ball loader. I have the special loaders since I like shooting the bullets with the balistic tips, which I don't want to damage.

Since the power belts were so easy to load and I shot a 2 deer with them last year, dropped in there tracks, I switch back to the PB's, with the Aero tips.

I have heard that some people use windex, and something else. What do you mix with the windex and when do you use it? I don't like using water in my ML's for fear of extra rust.

Tom
Old 08-23-2004, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like your bore is slightly undersized (.001 or 2). I'm not sure how your finances are, but Precision bullets in 40/50-cal bought in bulk load easier than most & may serve you well. The 215 & 250 grainers load easy in my Traditions barrel -- which are normally specked to the same as CVA.

I went to the nearest Dollar Store. On the counter near the register were small car-scent sprays. They hold around three ounces. I poured out the scent -- rinsed it good & filled it with a 50-50% mix of rubbing alcohol & Windex with ammonia. Works great & dries fast at the range.... usually only one dry patch on both sides -- then I'm ready to shoot again.

Look At The Poly-Tip 2nd On Right

PR's Summer Special Bulk Prices
Old 08-23-2004, 11:31 AM

OK thanks, it is possible but my CVA's bore is slightly bigger than my Traditions bore. Thank you for the information on the bullets too....

Is this the mixture...

50% rubbing alcohol
50% windew w/amonia

Do you spary on patch, swab barrell, than run a dry patch, or let dry naturally? Than shoot, do again?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Tom

Quick Reply: Thompson Center Shock Waves?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.