Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Beginner Inline Muzzleloading Advice. >

Beginner Inline Muzzleloading Advice.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Beginner Inline Muzzleloading Advice.

Old 08-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Beginner Inline Muzzleloading Advice.

Every Remington ML & S that I parked my Omega next to at the range had paper targets that almost matched mine/matched mine or exceeded mine. There were days when either one of us were experimenting with new stuff so shot groups differed day-to-day.

When it comes to deer hunting like most folks do, 1" groups at 100 (or) 2" groups at 100 make no difference at all whern deciding rifles. It's you.. the new ml shopper who needs to decide what action you want, how the rifle fits you & how much you're spending. If the Staghorn is all you can afford, then find out other options in that price category RIGHT HERE at hunting.net to compare against. I have on occasion recommended all ml manufacturers ... depending on the situation... how it fits the new buyer.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:45 PM
Spike

As a rookie also, I was wondering if I'm going to go shoot 20-30 rounds like catpool9 advises, how long do I have to wait between shots so i don't have to worry about my barrel getting to hot. Or is that not even a concern since I will be cleaning it all the time? I plan to go out and shoot a bunch this weekend as the season for me here in KS is only 17 days away!!!! I'm excited but didn't want to mess my new gun up before I even have a chance to get a deer with it. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Dominant Buck

In the summer when it is real hot I have noted a decrease in accuracy even if I swab between each shot if the barrel gets hot. You can tell if the barrel is hot by touching it. I combated that by shooting two different rifles, putting the shot one in the shade and letting it cool off after swabbing the fowling while loading and shooting the other one.

Others take a cooler with them and towels. After they shoot they swab then wrap the barrel in cold towels. I am sure that would help cool the barrel faster but I guess I would not go to that much trouble. Take your time swabbing, and check your target (if possible) and then take your time loading. Shoot in the shade if you can, it really does help.

Also conicals and round ball do not seem to be as bothered by a heated barrel as sabots. I think it has to do with the plastic getting soft.