Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

FFFF hard to get

Old 08-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default FFFF hard to get

After trying 4 gun shops I finally got a pound of FFFF for Priming. I think that equates to 2000 primings so what do I do with all this Powder. Can I use FFFF in My MLs Inlines or the Pennsylvanian?
Old 08-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: FFFF hard to get

priming powder should be used to prime flintlocks only.......i have over hlaf a pound i was given last year....shot over a pound of 2f since and barely used any priming powder...it was given to me by a guy that taught me to shoot hte flinter....he said he doesnt shoot his flinter much anymore and if he needs it he knows where i live and can get some......he had it for a LOOOONG time...the cans arent even the same anymore.....keep the lid on and keep it in a cool dry place and itll last forever.....dont have to worry about loosing velocity or anything its for priming......but i dont think you can use it in your main charge....only thing i heard of was putting like 10gr in before 777 or pyrodex to make it go off better in a flinter or something like that......
Old 08-12-2004, 03:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Phil you would not want to use any of this in your inlines. As Mauser said, it is a priming powder. If you are shooting a PA Pellet it would not hurt to drop say 10 grains down first if your having ignition problems, but only if your having problems. Unlike the FFFg powders which can be shot in some of the rifles as a main charge, this stuff is different. Keep it cool and dry and you will have it for years to come. I have two pounds of it myself. Think how long I am going to have it around....
Old 08-15-2004, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found it better to just get FFFg and use it for both priming and main charge. There is no chance of a catastrophic powder mixup happening that way. Do not use it as a main charge in a rifle or shotgun.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Several freinds and I go together every 2 -3 years and split a new pound of 4f . I tryed 3f for priming and had 2 problems 1 it did not meter through my pan primer very well and I got spoty ignesion (maybe from light priming charges from pore metering?)
Old 08-16-2004, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys I guess I will have the 4F around for a long time. I am supprised that they don't sell 1/4 pound cans.