Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help

Old 07-28-2004, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default Help

I just bought a ML, Traditions Pursuit LT and cleaning the barrel is a snap, but am having difficulty cleaning the crud off the front of the breech plug. Because of it being concave (?), what do you use to get in there to clean it. I'm using a bore cleaner and brush but it takes longer to clean the plug than it does the barrel.

The sites on it are plastic junk, can you recommend some better sites.

Guess you get what you pay for, the trigger pull on this thing must be off the scale, I honestly believe it has 10 or twelve pounds. The warranty is void if you pull the trigger mech. , but I did it anyway and did some polishing of the trigger, that helped but it's still terrible, any suggestions.

Thanks,
dog1
Old 07-28-2004, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help

Take it back & exchange it for the Pursuit Pro... two more inches of barrel, fully fluted, 1-1/2 lbs more for better balance & steel fiber sights for only $60 more. No problem as long as yourpresent LT hasn't been fired. Test the trigger on the next one before you leave the store.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:43 PM

but am having difficulty cleaning the crud off the front of the breech plug. Because of it being concave (?), what do you use to get in there to clean it.
Dog, I myself Soak my Plug in Very Hot Water, to which ive added a Touch of dawn Dish Detergent. I let it Soak, while I commence Cleaning the Barrel and Action, Bolt and Bolt Carrier, and then use a Tooth Brush, and some Pipe Cleaners, to finnish off the Plug.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Hidden Hunter, I'll try that. I'm new to MLing and learning.

dog1
Old 07-28-2004, 10:26 PM
Dominant Buck

I bought a jar which has a small basket made of plastic in it. In that jar is a black powder cleaning solution. I take the breech plug and nipple out and put them in the basket then dunk them in the jar while I clean the barrel. I have two nylon brushes. One large one for the breech are of the barrel and a small brush that fits through the nipple part of the breech plug and lets me scrub the thing out real good.

After I have ran the brush through all of that I use Q-Tips that I dunk in cleaning solution and scrub the inside of the breech plug out until they come out clean. It really does not take all that long once the breeech plug and nipple have soaked a while....