Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Scope Mfg Quality - Bushnell vs. Simmons? >

Scope Mfg Quality - Bushnell vs. Simmons?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope Mfg Quality - Bushnell vs. Simmons?

Old 07-26-2004, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scope Mfg Quality - Bushnell vs. Simmons?

Does anyone have a strong opinion of the mfg. quality of Bushnell vs Simmons? (all things being equal - size, magifying power, price, etc.) Specifcially comparing the Simmons Pro-Hunter and the Bushnell Banner -3-9x40.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2004, 07:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Scope Mfg Quality - Bushnell vs. Simmons?

I have a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 1.5 X 4.5 32mm with the extended eye relief. So far on my Black Diamond XR it has been a great scope. It seems to gather light very well. The only difference I would make now is I would get the 3 X 9 Banner. When I am shooting long range I wish it had more power settings.

I have read nothing bad about a Simmons Pro Hunter but I have no experience with them.... good luck.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never owned a Simmons.

I've been happy with the Bushnell Banner series, not so with the Sportsman series, but they were very cheap.

Wait, I take it back, I have a Simmons shotgun scope. It works fine, about what I expected for the money, just like the cheaper Bushnells.

I've never had a scope fail, just some are better than others. The difference really shows in lower light, when you need it the most.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both of those scopes only have 3" eye relief.

Buy this one... more multi-layer lenses (7) for better low-light plus 4.5" eye relief plus more back & forth sliding room in-between the rings.

Click Here To View Sightron SI 3-9X40

Click Here To Buy Sightron (#30761) $119.90
Old 07-26-2004, 09:28 PM

Hey Triple Se7en how do the Sightron scopes compare to the more expensive Bushnells or say leupold Var-X 1 or 2? Im looking for a better scope for my Encore.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion, Sightron II is an improvement over the Leo II in layered lense. The Bushnell offers Rainguard... another improvement over the Leo II, but the Bush-Elite lacks just a tad in eye relief (3.5")

Click Here For Sightron II Scope Review

Click Here To Buy Sightron II (#30763-4) for $186.03
Old 07-27-2004, 06:13 AM

I have a Simmions and a Bushnell, all I can say is the Bushnell I have is better than the Simmions. I have the Bushnell Sportsman and the Simmions that came with my 30-06.

T
Old 07-27-2004, 06:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

In my opinion, Sightron II is an improvement over the Leo II in layered lense. The Bushnell offers Rainguard... another improvement over the Leo II, but the Bush-Elite lacks just a tad in eye relief (3.5")
Most people won't notice the difference unless they shoot heavy recoiling loads.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:56 AM

Trip is Right on, by suggesting Sightron Scopes. This will be my next Scope Purchase. Bushnell Elite 3200, is also a Fine ML Scope, with slightly less eye relief, than Sightron.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have used the bushnell elite 3200 and 4200 on inline mag ML, never have worried about ER. I know everybody is different but even max load with a heavy bullet on the range all loose comes even close to my eye, coupled with the fact most shoot in the 100gr charge area and 250-350 gr bullets and I can't see why anybody would really require all this extended ER for a reasonably mild recoiler such as a ML. For god sakes I had the 4200 with 3 1/4 eye relief on my 300 wby with not a nick to show for my stupidity[]

As to which of the ones you mentioned I'd pick bushnell but look at the sightron as well. For me the Elite with rainguard and my area is the perfect fit on top of my ML. Reasonable but holds and track POI true each season, no complaints from this Bushnell owner.

Quick Reply: Scope Mfg Quality - Bushnell vs. Simmons?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.