Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking to buy?

Old 05-26-2004, 11:06 PM

Default Looking to buy?

I'm looking to buy a smoke pole this year and would like some input from ya'll on what you'd perfer for .50 cal under $250? ANd a 209 primer is illegal in my state, so does your suggestion offer the other nipples?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2004, 11:52 PM

Default RE: Looking to buy?

look at cva and traditions. they both have reasonably priced muzzleloaders. also they both have models that use # 11 caps. also look at the thompson center black diamond. i believe some of them may be in your price range. otherwise search the used gun racks at the local gun dealer.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

Traditions has nicesets for your price range scoped with all the goodies you need to get going. Try Traditionsfirearms.com
Old 05-27-2004, 05:48 AM

Bass-pro has a CVA package with every thing you need except powder,for $200.00.
they include , gun , scope , cleaning kit , shooting kit , with power-belts.
all you need is some pellets and go to the range.

I have two of there guns and am very well pleased.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:08 AM

I have a 50 cal traditions flint and a CVA inline, both are great guns for the price. I have shot 4 does with the flint and 1 with the inline so they are great for getting deer.

T
Old 05-27-2004, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trapper

Since you didn't mention that inlines were illegal in your state, Bass Pro Shop has this camo-stock T/C on clearance for $199. It comes with all three ignitions (#11- Musket - 209). It also has a full transferable lifetime warranty. No receipt needed 15 years from now... try that with CVA and Traditions Inc.

T/C Black Diamond XR 26"
Old 05-27-2004, 10:04 PM

Thanks guys, thats the two I've been interested in, we bought my Dad a Traditons, but I wasn't happy that the Tru-glo sights broke the instant we put a wrench to them[:@] I did see a nice CVA I liked, I just needed to get your input on how they shot, seems like either way you can't go wrong

In WA scopes are also illegal, but they do allow inlines with an open breech, no jacketed slugs(gotta be pure lead) and no 209. I know in some states ya'll can't use rifles so I understand scopes but out here we give better seasons for the " primitive" weapons so I like the idea of what they restrict us from using. Out here if you want the fancy stuff go modern but anyhoo,thanks again.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

Trapper

Since you didn't mention that inlines were illegal in your state, Bass Pro Shop has this camo-stock T/C on clearance for $199. It comes with all three ignitions (#11- Musket - 209). It also has a full transferable lifetime warranty. No receipt needed 15 years from now... try that with CVA and Traditions Inc.

T/C Black Diamond XR 26"
That's not a bad deal either. I'll check in on it, thanks, I thought though the T/C used a sealed breech? That's a no-no up this way.

I gotta kind of go the cheap route I put $1800 in tires and wheels on the Powerstroke and the wife....Well she ain't happy[:-][][:@]