Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Powerbelt problems >

Powerbelt problems

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelt problems

Old 02-15-2004, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Powerbelt problems

Over 2 different shooting sessions I have tried some 348 gr aerotip powerbelts in my new T/C Omega. Am shooting triple 7 and tried from 90 gr to 120 grains and can't get any better than a 3" group at 25 yards. Trying to decide where to go from here. I am going to try some 348 hollow points and some 295 aerotips and maybe even some 405's. May even try going back to pyrodex select, but I sure like how the 777 cleans up.

One of the things I notice is that 777 seems to settle more in the powder measure than pyrodex did. When I pour it in, I always tap the measure to get the powder to settle, and it does settle quite a bit. Should I be doing this, or just pour it in and not try to get it to settle?

I am shooting from a bench with a good rest, so I don't think it is me. Any other suggestions?
Old 02-16-2004, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Powerbelt problems

txhunter58

No need to tap your powder measure. In doing so, your volumes of 90-120 with 777 increased. That's far too much powder on a bullet (Powerbelt) that operates best with recommended powder charges. A typical 100 grain recommendation nowadays applies to Pyro/Real Blackpowder. Now if you deduct 15% like your 777 jug stipulates, you need to re-test that 348 Powerbelt with 85 grains (average). If you were tapping your measure volume -- then using 90 grains minimum, that 90 was likely 95 grains -- which is the equivalent to 115 Pyro. Your 120 grains 777 tapped was likely 150 grains Pyro.

Since all ml rifles are bored differently, that 777/85 grain recommendation is not "rocket science" specs. Your Omega may shoot best with 80 grains 777/Powerbelt 348... my Omega may like 90 777 /348 Powerbelt. Then there are "other variables to consider when looking for accuracy & bullet performance.

Powerbelt Inc states on their website that a majority of thir bullets perform best on a fouled barrel. So you may be complicating your first (2) target holes at the range by shooting them in a clean barrel.. especially one that had gun safe- bore-filled storing oils in the barrel when shooting those first 2 target shots.

Just dry-patching storing oils does not remove it when you prepare your first shot at the range. You should always "alcohol" your bore... it cuts oils much better than dry-patching. Also, another option to improve Powerbelt performance is to check each gas check/base before seating them.

Remove all plastic gas checks when you "free all 20 Powerbelts from the new package. Make sure they are loosely fitted onto the actual bullet. You don't want them to fit snugly. Sometimes I re-do all my Powerbelts by dabbing the bottoms of all 20 Powerbelts with a Q-tip doused gun oil or bore butter... then re-apply the plastic base to the bullet -- then twist & turn them a few times in circles.

Sometimes, fouling your bore first with a 15 grain fouling shot works best for accuracy. I keep a box of bulk bullets (hard-cast) that I buy at reloading sections of gun stores. the ones I use today come 500 for $30 on sale. They are 230 grains... it'll take a lifetime for me to empty that box. These cheap bulk bullets can't replace a fine bullet like Powerbelts beyond 25 yards. Those bulk ones enter the target shaped like an HourGlass... instead of a normal round shape bullet.... meaning they behave like tumbled/keyholed bullets.

If these "treatments" I described does not improve your groups, buy other bullets... ie sabot/bullets. Those in a T/C endorsed package usually shoot best. Examples are T/C Shockwaves, T/C Cheapshots... T/C Mag Sabots... etc.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the advice, although I forgot to mention that I hunt in Colorado, so sabots are not legal

Thanks again
Old 02-16-2004, 06:34 AM
Typical Buck

tx hunter58,I have a 50 cal Omega and will be hunting in Co. for elk this year,so I know what you are going through.Here in upstate NY it is 3 degrees right know so I have not been able to shoot,but I was getting good groups with the 295 hp with 2 777 pellets.Pellets are weaker than loose so I think that 85gr would be a good charge to try.My omega shoots 250 gr. hornady SSTs over 2 777 pellets asome,unfortunatly that won't fly in Co,so I will be trying various loads and projectile to get some thing that will.Also would like to shoot a heavier bullet for Elk.Let us know what you get to work and I,ll do the same
Old 02-16-2004, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I was shooting powerbelts out of my Black Diamond XR and needless to say was not impressed with the accuracy. I was shooting 100-120 grains of Triple Se7en.

I cut the load back to 90 grains of loose Pyrodex RS and what a difference. It must have slowed them down enough to where they decided to behave. I shot some excellent groups with the 348 grain aero tips with 90 grains of Pyrodex.

And although this might now be necessary, I took off and replaced all the plastic bases before I shot them because I heard that sometimes there was a problem with them not coming off fast enough....

This might not make sense, but I have better luck using Pyrodex RS when shooting any kind of conical or powerbelt. When shooting the sabots then I use the Triple Se7en. Then I get some real nice groups.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Will be going out again this weekend. Going to take 777 and pyrodex and 295 aero, 348 aero, 348 HP and 405 HP. I will also start with 85 gr 777 and see what happens.

Also, when shooting at the target at 25 yards I am finding the plastic caps right in front of the target, so I am wondering if they indeed are not coming off soon enough. Will try your trick and see if that makes any difference.

Surely something in that mix should work! We will see.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2004, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

txhunter58,

The spent power checks landing close to 25yds is about average - I usually find mine between 15 to 25yds.

here are my 777 loads for those particular PowerBelts:
80gr for the 295s
90gr for the 348s
100gr for the 405s

That 100/405gr load is a wooly-bugger! [] Watch the recoil.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:00 AM

I tried using the 295 PB's aero tips in my Traditions Deerhunter flintlock at 25 yeards and they shot great. This gun really likes the 80 grains of BP. I have used Black Powder, Clean Shot, and now Triple 7 and I really like Triple 7 the best.

If I were you, I would start with 80 grains and move the load up 5 grains and see which load shoots the best.

T
Old 02-17-2004, 04:42 PM

i'm sure you have heard this but the powerbelts are not ideal for most T/C guns. they are too far underbore to get a tight seal, which is detrimental to accuracy.

that being said, there are alot of guys who have been able to get them to group well out of their T/C's.

i wasn't one of them.

with sabots being illegal where you hunt, i would begin looking for a bigger conical (maxi-hunter would be a good place to start).
Old 02-17-2004, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

J in GB says:
" i'm sure you have heard this but the powerbelts are not ideal for most T/C guns. they are too far underbore to get a tight seal, which is detrimental to accuracy."
==============================================

Hey J!

Does everybody in Green Bay feel the same way about Powerbelt shooting poorly out of T/C rifles... or just you??

Whoever told you that should not be trusted to offer you any more advice on muzzleloading... period!
If you've had a bad experience using a T/C rifle in combination with Powerbelts.. Please describe your problems/concerns.

T/C bores are not undersize (and) Powerbelt Bullets are not intended to seat in the bore tightly with that manufacturer.

Judging by your words in your first sentence, you come-off as being "anti-T/C".... using Powerbelt Bullets as a poor excuse to stir false accusations on the gun manufacturer. If you are having accuracy problems, describe them ... lots of folks here will help you. But please, don't accuse gun/bullet manufacturers of being substandard without offering proof... instead of saying"... "I'm sure you heard this..."

Quick Reply: Powerbelt problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.