Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Brand new muzzleloader hunter. OMEGA ? NEED HELP ! >

Brand new muzzleloader hunter. OMEGA ? NEED HELP !

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Brand new muzzleloader hunter. OMEGA ? NEED HELP !

Old 02-07-2004, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Brand new muzzleloader hunter. OMEGA ? NEED HELP !

Thanks Triple Se7en,I has a dealer here in Rochester that I can get from in small quantity.Just wondering if the where hot enough to ignite triple 777 in pellet and loose form.I have a pack of 100 but have yet to give them a try.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hold on dvdegeorge

I don't recommend those 410 primers with 777 pellets. You never stated that. They (209-410) may not have enough juice to ignite on moisture-driven huntin' days with 777 pellets.

Real blackpowder is the easiest to ignite in loose. Just about any loose powder (aside from FF American Pioneer/Cleanshot) will ignite with 209-410 primers.
With pellets, Pyrodex includes a small amount of blackpowder-like substance to enhance ignition. That's why they want you to place the dark side of the pellet down the bore first.

777 pellets (as of today) offer no ignition enhancers (and) if you read their literature, they tell you their powder is intended for "modern" muzzies... not sidelocks. 777 FFF loose works well in sidelocks but FF is " touch & go".

Anyways, that's an indication that 777 needs a higher temperature to ignite. Remington 209-410 primers offer a very cool ignition. They may work in your situation... but I wouldn't bet on it 100% of the time.

If you plan on using 777 pellets, I recommend the hotter Remington STS 209s, Winchester, Federal, RWS, CCI-Magnum. If you ever switch to Pyro/777/Blackpowder loose, the cool 410s will work nicely.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Triple Se7en,I thought triple 777 pellets might need more heat to ignite,but I geuss the 410's will work with the loose triple 777,I need to work up a good load anyways because i am planning a muzzleloader elk hunt i Co.this fall and pellets are not permited.