Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C maxi ball

Old 02-05-2002, 06:50 PM
Spike

Default T/C maxi ball

Maxi balls and maxi hunters shoot pretty well out of my T/C Hawken. Wondering if anyone has shot them out of an inline and how they worked? I have a knight bighorn coming next week and want to give them a try before I move on to more conventional inline fodder.
BTW, I got the inline because I wanted a new toy. I'm not moving away from traditional hunting, just exploring other forks in the road.
Old 02-05-2002, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: T/C maxi ball

I haven't tried the maxi's in my Knight.......yet - but I have been considering it. Since they are pretty long & heavy, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well they may shoot.

They would also be as good or better than round ball for breaking in the barrel at this early stage.

"Every moving thing that liveth, I give unto you as meat" (Gen 9:3)

Trust God..........but keep your powder dry!
Old 02-05-2002, 09:02 PM
bigcountry

They shot good if I used the maxi patch or whatever T/C calls them. They will slide down your barrel sometimes no matter how tight you pack them. So when I am in the tree, I will make sure its seated. I shot a doe with them this year in my knight MK but probably won't use them anymore in my inline. They lead fouled my barrel alot and still didn't shoot as well as a sabot due to more blowby and nonconsistent seating, by my guessing. I have used them for years, but when I lowed my gun from my treestand this year and saw the maxiball at the end of my barrel, I decided it wasn't worth the risk anymore. I would rather have a good tight seat of the sabot. I liked that they were a full .50" instead of .45 or .44 of a sabot but will be looking at the powerbelts next year. By the way, I call T/C and they said they don't reccomend shooting them out of a Inline or barrel with a fast twist.

Edited by - bigcountry on 02/05/2002 22:05:08

Old 02-06-2002, 12:27 PM

I've used the Maxi balls a couple of times and I had good results when I use 80 grains of Clean Shot and a Wonder Wad out of my CVA Mag Bolt 50 Cal.