Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bullets without Sabots >

Bullets without Sabots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullets without Sabots

Old 12-02-2003, 06:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Bullets without Sabots

Has anyone used the Hornady Great plains bullets or the TC maxi hunters or any of the bullets you don't need sabots or patches for? My TC Side lock has a twist for bullets rather that round balls but all of the sabots load so hard that I can forget about ever getting a second shot. I know, I know. Don't miss the first time.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bullets without Sabots

i'm going to try then before flintlock in pa at the range to see how they shoot in my .50 cal T/C hawken...........................bob
Old 12-04-2003, 07:20 AM

I've used the Maxi-hunter in my Hawkin for years. Very nice bullet that provides good consistant accuracy. Oh yea, It kills deer dead, dead, dead! The Hornady Great Plains bullet has worked well with people that I hunt with.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

im shooting powerbelts out of my 50 cal tc flintlock hawken....works fine so far.....now to test them on a deer................it loads alot easier then a sabot too...only thing is i cant get a second one in.....i HAVE to clean....i tried this summer...barely made it....i fought for dang near 5 mins trying to get it down there.....the first one slides down like you put butter all around it.....but i wont try a second again....granted it was hot humid and turned my fouling into a very very thick tar almost.....and my bore is pretty tight.......
Old 12-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Dominant Buck

I have shot the Great Plains, the T/C maxi ball and maxi hunter. They work great in my T/C Renegade and my CVA Mountain Stalker. Right now I am using a LEE R.E.A.L. concial that I make myself. I make both a 300 grain and a 380 grain for the .54 caliber. They load easy, and shoot great. Since they are pure lead, all you need do is nick a bone on the way in and they really open up. Not meaning to offend anyone, but I had some powerbelts once, and did not like them. They would not group, and were hard to load after the first shot, so I gave them to a fellow with an inline for some lead.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used the 385gr and 460 grain Great Plains conicals with good luck with both. They hit deer like a freight train, but kick like a mule and drop like a rock past 75 yards though. But in an Iowa timber shots rarily get much farther than that anyway.

Mike
Old 12-08-2003, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why, coitinley!! We had bullets before we had sabots, and even today, sabotted bullets are illegal in some places, like Colorado.

For ease of loading, NONE are as good as Power Belts, and they're legal everywhere, to the best of my knowledge. Try some, your rifle might like 'em!! The Power Belts shoot well in some barrels, and terrible in others. But I suspect this is probably true for all bullet designs. I have had good accuracy results with Power Belts, the Buffalo Bullets which are similar to the Hornady Great Plains bullets, with Maxi-balls, Maxi-Hunters, and the Lee R.E.A.L.'s.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try the CVA Buckslayers.They're 300gr.,load real easy and shoot great in my sidelock.Oh and pack a heck of a wallop.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the info guys. I will give some of these a try.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:37 AM

If you like shooting heavy Conicals,try out a box of No Excuses.They hit like a Freight Train,and are pretty reasonably priced.They are a variation of the Whitworth Bullet,and are Pure Lead,for Maximum Expansion on Game.

Quick Reply: Bullets without Sabots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.