Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What should i get? >

What should i get?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What should i get?

Old 11-28-2003, 01:43 PM

Default What should i get?

I' m 16 and was thinking of getting a muzzeloader. what kind do you think i should get?
Old 11-28-2003, 03:40 PM

Default RE: What should i get?

Hello pahunter, it really depends on what kind of money you feel like spending on an ML. I just purchased my first ML and I went with the Thompson Center Arms Omega. It was highly recomended and so far it is a great gun, easy to clean and very accurate. It ran me about $450 which is steep for someone just getting into it, but with a cheaper gun, you will not get much resale value, or so I have been told. Also, you may get a cheeper gun and then want to upgrade some day, which is fine, but in the end your spending the same amount or close to the amount of a real good gun. This was my logic, many will disagree, but id rather only have to get the right gun once. Anyways, the omega is a great gun, especially for a beginner since it is so easy to clean and function. Im not sure if the Omega is legal to use in PA so i recomend checking out your laws. My knowledge is limited in ML, but i thought I would share with you some of the things I was told and discovered when I was looking for my first. Also, if your looking to further your knowledge in ML I would recomend looking into the videos that a gentleman named Randy wakeman has made. All about ML, great for beginners, very informative and he examines many of todays ML' s explaining the ups and downs honestly. He posts on this forum frequently and im sure he would be happy to fill you in on price and everything. Just an option that helped me out greatly. Good luck with your decision!
Old 11-28-2003, 06:04 PM

If your looking to get into muzzleloading fairly cheaply and not sure if you' ll like it, I' d recomend the NEF Huntsman. You can get one in the $150 range I belive. If you already own a NEF Shotgun or Rifle you can simply have a barrel fitted to your current reciever. I belive the cost is $75 for the barrel and fitting. You can have a shotgun barrel fitted if you buy the huntsman by itself (not a rifle barrel though) so your not losing as much if you don' t like muzzleloading. I also belive they sell combos which is possibly a more economical choice. The NEF is a sealed action too. This makes them easier to clean.

I' d stay away from both Traditions and CVA/Winchester guns. I have owned rifles from both companies and belive they are of poor quality and not worth wasting money on.

Knight rifles are of excelent quality as are Thompson Center rifles. For as little as $150 you can purchase an American Knight. In the middle to upper $200 range a Wolverine 209 might be a better choice. T/C' s Black Diamond also starts in the $200 range and is fairly comprable to the Wolverine. I belive T/C has a lower priced model available as well, but am not for sure what the name of it is. The Knight Disc, Disc Extreme, Disc Elite are the higher priced bolt actions Knight sells. All three are quality rifles and better choices if you know you' ll like muzzleloading. T/C Omega and Encore are both sealed actions and Higher priced T/C models. The Omega is in the price range of the original Disc and the Encore is in the Extreme/Elite price range. Both are quality rifles.

The Remington ML isn' t worth buying. It has an extreme amount of blowback. I belive the ones Randy Wakeman tested had sparks hitting his face and arms.

The Savage ML 10 II is a good rifle but in the same range as a Knight Disc Extreme/Elite and T/C Encore. Also smokeless muzzleloading is not legal in all states.

Before purchasing any Muzzleloader make sure that it' s legal to use in your state. Read your regs BEFORE buying any ML.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:22 AM
Dominant Buck

What kind of rifle you get will depend on a lot of things. First, what State laws are there that dictate requirements you must meet in order to hunt with it (that is if you are a hunter). Next comes a personal preference. You have to decide if you like the new in-line or the traditional muzzleloaders. If you decide on traditional, then you have to decide how traditional you want to go. Are you thinking non wood stock, flintlock, cap lock, type of twist? You need to also consider what you want to shoot out of it. In lines commonly shoot sabots and conicals. They are far more expensive then traditional rifles and their roundballs.

The best thing you can do is read some of the magazines out there and look at different adds. See what you like and what you don' t like. You might also want to go to different sporting good stores and try to handle some of the rifles you like. They all hold different and fit different. One that matches me, might be too big or short for you.

Take your time and make a wise choice. These rifles get under you skin and you will get hooked on the sport if your like the rest of us smoke burners. You might be like me and still hunting with your first rifle 20+ years later....
Old 11-29-2003, 11:32 AM

thanks for the help guys i' m gonna head up to the store in a little while and see what they have. i don' t think i' ll get one today unless i find one i really really like but i will be gettin one soon
Old 11-29-2003, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can purchase muzzleloaders in Pennsylvania at the age of 16??
Old 11-29-2003, 04:27 PM

If you have a Cabelas store nearby you might want to check out the Knight Wolverine 209 with black synthetic stock and stainless steel barrel for $199. I just purchased one on Friday Nov 28. They were selling quite a few of them so who knows if they have any left now. The sale was through Dec 14, I believe and were in store purchase only.

This is my first muzzleloader and can' t wait to shoot it this week. If I had more money I would of considered the Omega, but this Knight will work out nicely for my needs here in Michigan and the price was right.

Good Luck
Old 11-29-2003, 05:41 PM

triple se7en, no i can' t go to the store and buy it myself but my mom will go up with me and buy it with my money.