Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

[Deleted]

Old 12-19-2003, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: No pass through

I took two does this year with my ML. I used the 295gr powerbelts with 130gr or pyrodex. The first deer was face on at 55 yards (slightly facing away), bullet entered just infront of the shoulder, caught the shoulder blade travelling the length before entering the chest. There was only small partical traces left from the bullet and pieces of the shoulder blade the size of my thumb nail. Also the bullet never exited from the chest cavity. My second doe was out to 145 yards and passed completly through with a broad side shot. The exit was extensive.

Now my question is this: Is this normal to get this different results with the same setup. I know the first shot struck solid bone, but with a 308 the deflection would still have given a pass through at that distance.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:06 PM

If the deer dropped in it's tracks I believe the bullet did it's job and you did a good job of shooting with a clean humane kill. I never question what happened to the bullet when the deer falls over.

I've shot several deer with my 308 and have had a few blow through and other's bounce around inside. All I know is that the deer always fall down in there tracks, then I go about playing the Medical Examiner, trying to figure out what was hit in the bullet's path going through.

Sounds like you have a good round to stick with.

I'm running out of time in my first year of ML to find out what happens to a Dead Center and 777 combo on a deer. Might have to wait til next rifle season.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:10 PM

Chris, in my experience it is very common to shoot 100 grains or less and not have a pass-through. If the bullet does its job, good, but I'm concerned sometimes due to the lack of blood. I've had friends get a great shot on a deer but almost lose it because there was no blood trail, which was due to the bullet not passing through the deer.
My solution = Hornady 300 gr SST's with 150 grains of Pyrodex pellets.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:31 AM

I shoot 100 grains with a 265 grain bullet and rarely get pass throughs. But I also rarely have a deer take more than 2 or 3 steps. I had a doe run up on me this year while in a groud blind shot her at 3yds, bullet didnt go through but it knocked clean off her feet and she didnt move after she landed. Cool thing about not getting pass throughs is I have a collection of bullets and its good to see how different ones perform and hold together.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

I shot a doe at 80 yards broadsibe. 240 gr Hornaday XTP (hollow-point) with 90 gr of 777 out of a NEF Huntsman. Got a complete passthrough and she dropped where she was standing.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:17 PM

Jimbo Hunter I agree, FULLY !!! I have shot many deer between last year and this year with the PB bullets. I use 50 cal. with 80 grains and my uncle shoots with 150 grains of pyrodex. We both used the 295 version until this year when i wanted to try the 245 bullet. Needless to say after a quarting towards me shot at 30 yards, the doe (100lbs dressed) ran almost 100 yards with no blood to speak of. I was shocked and lucky to get the deer. When I checked out the deer while butchering I found what was left of the bullet just under the far side hide and there wasn't much at all. I don't plan on useing the 245 anymore this year but will go back to the 295. Between the 2 of us we still have not got 1 pass through from the PB bullets in more than 20 deer taken. I guess they are expending all of there energy in the deer but I still want a good blood trail to follow if they do run and a pass through blood trail is hard to beat.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:38 PM

Right. I don't dispute the fact that they will die when they're hit in the right place, but if they run and you don't have a blood trail, you're skrooooood!
I'll let you know what happens when I'm able to shoot one with my 300 gr Hornady SST's!
Jim
Old 12-25-2003, 03:12 PM
Spike

I KILLED 3 DEER W/CVA OPTIMA .50 348 GR. POWERBELTS THIS YEAR AND ONLY HAD 1 PASS THROUGH ON A BIG DOE AT 50 YDS.THE OTHERS INCLUDING THE BIG DOE ALL HAD SIVER DOLLAR SIZE ENTRANCE WOUNDS AND JUST DESTROYED THE VITALS, WORST DAMAGE I HAVE EVER SEEN FRON ANY BULLET INCLUDING 12 GA. SLUGS. DEAN
Old 12-25-2003, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like Randy said upwards... the 348s & 405s are the best ticket with Powerbelts. You may achieve slightly better accuracy & a little less recoil using the 245s/295s, but for killing expansion/penetration... bigger is better in Powerbelt World.
Old 12-25-2003, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

You hit it in a good spot and put it down. I wouldn't worry about it.