Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Got my Appollo now What do I look For? >

Got my Appollo now What do I look For?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got my Appollo now What do I look For?

Old 11-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Spike

Default Got my Appollo now What do I look For?

In the last post I posted I was thinking on getting trading for an Appollo

Well I did some Trading and got it in the mail this week
Now not knowing much about the Black Powder in-lines what do I look for?
The things that might not just jump out cosmetically and get ones attention.

The rifle has a Black synthetic stock and has a S/S barrel
Pretty cool/nice combination if you ask me
The rifle looks like it was really cared for and doesn' t seem to have a whole lot of use at all.
If I didn' t know it would appear to be as new condition

One question or concern is when I pull the bolt back (bolt for lack of better terminology) it locks and then there is a safty botton (switch) next to the trigger guard that I press out of the safty mode and its ready to fire, then by depressing the trigger it fires the bolt into the primer igniting the primer and BOOM.
Is the bolt supposed to stay open like that?
What if I was in miserable conditions wouldn' t the primer get wet and then mis-fire with the bolt open like that?

Thanks Guys for you help,
Old 11-22-2003, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got my Appollo now What do I look For?

TBH, Congrats getting that Appollo. It' s been awhile since I saw that Appollo I owned for a short time I can' t remember how it was set up.I couldn' t tell you if it was a bolt or you pulled the pin back on a slide.Once it' s closed it should be very little chance of water entering. If you have a big gap there something doesn' t sound right.I' m assuming you have fired it.If it fires apparently the bolt is in the correct position.I wish I could help you more but without looking at one it' s hard to say . That Appollo I had I never fired ,so I' m really not much help to you.CVA is only a phone call away. They have excellent customer service.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 11-22-2003, 09:01 PM
Spike

thanks Rugar,

yea the bolt or pin stays back when i pull it back. I then can load the primer, however the bolt wont slide of go forward unless the safty is released and the trigger is squeezed.
Upon squeezing the trigger thats the time the bolt goes slamming against the primmer and ignights the powder.

Thanks anyway
I guess I' ll have to call CVA next week
Old 11-22-2003, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

TBH,You' re welcome. Hmm! now that you refreshed my memory about the slide instead of the bolt.Un-primed of course try when the bolt is locked back if pulling back on the pin doesn' t release it from the locked position.I bet there is a loading position. Once the primer is in you pull back on the pin and it will release it to the firing position.I never heard of the slide staying back until you squeeze the trigger.Water would enter plus the primer would fall out. Give that a try. You have me curious about this. Hope it works for you.
Ruger Redhawk