Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Rife

Old 02-04-2002, 06:06 AM

Default New Rife

Made the decision. Just bought a 50 cal Knight 26" Magnum Disk rifle, black stock, SS barrell.

Any suggestions on how to get started? The video did not mention breaking in the barrell, which is something I have heard should be done.

I was planning on starting/practicing with 209 primers and the 260gr lead, sabbotted bullets Knight has using 2 50gr pellets.

May go to 3 pellets and the 250gr Barnes bullet before hunting season once I get comfortable with the gun.

I was going to using T/C solvent for cleaning and Rem Oil with Teflon to coat the metal when done.

Biggest question I have is should the bolt be stripped down and cleaned after each practice session like the barrell and breach plug? The guy in the gun shop said it could be done once a season, but from what I have read that could be taking a chance. What do you all do that have bolt action muzzleloaders? I almost went to the T/C Black Diamond just to avoid having to disassemble and clean a bolt the the Knight Rifle felt the best in my hands.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New Rife

irish,

See my "break-in" post to gobuffs - It works!

I would suggest cleaning the bolt along with the rest of the gun - it will start to rust real fast if you don't. You'll come to realize that the primers are the most corrosive thing on the gun - unless you shoot true black powder.
Just FOLLOW KNIGHT's INSTRUCTIONS on how to take the bolt out. A friend with the .45cal DISC didn't, & ended up having to send it back to the factory to get it back together.

Persoanlly, I prefer the "natural" products for cleaning & prep. The T/C cleaner is fine (I use Simple Green & water), but I would lube the bore with bore butter before putting the breech back in. Just make sure that the bore has no residue of any type before applying the butter as it could seal in rust.

For powder & bullet choice: 150gr of powder usually shreds most sabots - start with 90gr & work up to 120gr, with 130gr max. I would look at bullets in the 300gr+ range. The Hornady 300XTPs work good as do 295 & 348gr Power Belts.
Powder pellets are easy to work with, but I've found that using the loose stuff allows a more custom load and if your gun decides it likes powder in 5gr increments (like my Knight USAK), then loose is the only way to go.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

irishcajun you made a good choice in rifles.I would recommend taking the bolt apart each time you clean the gun. I've taken mine apart several times and never had a problem.You'll like using the 209 primers.I shoot a 250 gr XTP Bullet with Knight sabots. I use two 50 grain Pyrodex pellets and it shoots very good in my Knight Disc.Hope you enjoy you new rifle. Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-04-2002, 06:30 PM

Irish you made a good decision. I have the same gun but I have a blued barrel. I shoot 150 grains and a 250 grain barnes bullet. I shot a clover leaf group at 90 yards with this load off of sand bags. I do not like the recoil of this load though. It is fine off of a bench or on the ground but in a tree it really rocks me. I am going to shoot 100 grains next year and the same bullet to get rid of the recoil. I have shot at 4 deer with this load and only killed two. One that I missed was only 20 yards ( yes it was only 20 yards) very bad mistake I still don't know what happened. Yes I do operator error. Oh well I clean the bolt and breech area after each shooting session. It isn't that hard to clean it at all.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:09 PM

better safe than sorry,clean when finished shooting.
as was said it's realy not that hard.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:31 PM
XTP

I am not a big Knight fan(believe it or not!),so I can't comment on your rifle.As far as cleaning though....unless you like the rusty look....clean it thoroughly!I personnally use a 300gr Hornady XTP over 100grs of Pyrodex in my Tradition Buckhunter Pro in-line.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:54 AM
Spike

Irish, One of the most important items Anti seize make sure to put some on the breach plug threads a little goes a long way.I strip mine complete after every shooting secession. Keep your powder dry,and in the 10 ring
Old 02-07-2002, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use white lithium grease on my breechplug.
You can buy it at the hardware store cheap.
I only use WD-40 on my Bighorn. It's blued.
Iv'e had it a few seasons now, and there is no rust. I think I'd clean the bolt.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:56 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-08-2002, 07:23 PM

I purchased a Disc Rifle the first year they came out and I always took apart the bolt assembly and cleaned it. There is absolutely no rust on this gun and it looks like new. It just takes a little more time, but it's well worth it.
The disc rifle is an excellant gun and it will give you years/lifetime of service if taken care of properly.
The best load for my disc rifle (5 shot, one and a half inch groups)was the 300gr. Barnes MZ, and (2) 50gr. Pyrodex Pellets. The group opened up a little using (3) Pellets, and I usually used this load for hunting, for the extra velocity/energy.
Good Luck with your new rifle!

Quick Reply: New Rife

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.