Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hawkens 50 Cal

Old 05-31-2023, 02:41 PM
  #1  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pine Hill Alabama USA
Posts: 1,280
Default Hawkens 50 Cal

My son and I have been playing with a new toy for the past few days. Got a Traditions 50 Caliber Hawken Woodsman. I have no idea what makes this one a Woodsman vs a St Louis or Mountain or Prairie Hawkens. They all look the same to me but it looks pretty nice for a pretty inexpensive model.



We sighted it in yesterday and today we started tinkering with finding a bullet and powder load that grouped well. Well we found one. This was shot from a Lead sled because I wanted to see what the gun would do with each load not what I could do. 80 grains of Swiss 2F black powder, felt wad over the powder lubed with Ballistol and a 275 grain TC Maxi Hunter conical. Three shots from 50 yards.


I can live with that. Lots of fun shooting these old style rifles.
Todd1700 is offline  
Old 05-31-2023, 04:22 PM
  #2  
Boone & Crockett
 
Semisane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: River Ridge, LA (Suburb of New Orleans)
Posts: 10,917
Default

I can live with that.
Well Todd, sometimes you just have to accept a gun's limitations.

(Excellent!)
Semisane is offline  
Old 05-31-2023, 05:35 PM
  #3  
Super Moderator
 
Bocajnala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Trumbull County, Ohio
Posts: 9,309
Default

Originally Posted by Semisane
Well Todd, sometimes you just have to accept a gun's limitations.

(Excellent!)

Uhhh



Ya! I think that'll work lol
Bocajnala is offline  
Old 06-01-2023, 05:05 AM
  #4  
Boone & Crockett
 
bronko22000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 12,726
Default

Originally Posted by Semisane
Well Todd, sometimes you just have to accept a gun's limitations.
(Excellent!)
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Uhhh
Ya! I think that'll work lol
I guess that's not too shabby. I used that same bullet for years until I started casting my own. They work well on deer too.
bronko22000 is offline  
Old 06-01-2023, 01:56 PM
  #5  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 852
Default

Looks like you found a winner load. BUT I would advise no further use of the lead sled. My dad and I both experienced split tangs from using them. Rifle stocks are designed for the absorption of shock by the shoulder. Without the absorbing of shock, all that speed generated by the shot is transferred from the barrel/receiver directly into the tang like a wedge into wood.
hunters_life is offline  
Old 06-01-2023, 07:08 PM
  #6  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pine Hill Alabama USA
Posts: 1,280
Default

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Looks like you found a winner load. BUT I would advise no further use of the lead sled. My dad and I both experienced split tangs from using them. Rifle stocks are designed for the absorption of shock by the shoulder. Without the absorbing of shock, all that speed generated by the shot is transferred from the barrel/receiver directly into the tang like a wedge into wood.
I hear ya but I never put any weight on it like some do with sand bags or barbell weights. And I only use it for load development when I want to eliminate as much of the human variable as possible. I shoot off bags for the most part.
Todd1700 is offline  
Old 06-02-2023, 01:42 PM
  #7  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 529
Default

Originally Posted by Todd1700
My son and I have been playing with a new toy for the past few days. Got a Traditions 50 Caliber Hawken Woodsman. I have no idea what makes this one a Woodsman vs a St Louis or Mountain or Prairie Hawkens. They all look the same to me but it looks pretty nice for a pretty inexpensive model.



We sighted it in yesterday and today we started tinkering with finding a bullet and powder load that grouped well. Well we found one. This was shot from a Lead sled because I wanted to see what the gun would do with each load not what I could do. 80 grains of Swiss 2F black powder, felt wad over the powder lubed with Ballistol and a 275 grain TC Maxi Hunter conical. Three shots from 50 yards.


I can live with that. Lots of fun shooting these old style rifles.
That 80gr of Swiss 2F has been a fantastic load for many 50cal MLís
edmehlig is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.