Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Disc Extreme Modification >

Disc Extreme Modification

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Disc Extreme Modification

Old 09-14-2022, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Disc Extreme Modification

I'm going to be busy this week hanging tree stands for our archery season in 2 weeks (I'm late this year being in Florida too long) but I'll be out next week making sure my muzzys are ready for the season. On top of the list is my new barrel/receiver for my Knight Disc Extreme.
I got a Mountaineer .45 cal barrel for it and swapped the ..50 cal barrel out on it. I also had to buy a Mountaineer BP for it which I purchased from SSK Industries (used to be Lehigh Defense) as I have the bare 209 adapter for the bolt. I have 3 different bullets I'm going to try in it. First will be the hand cast 340 gr I-bullet then the 350 gr cast paper patched bullet and finally a 200 gr .401" XTP in a light blue Harvester CR sabot.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Bronko, It was actually the other way around, Lehigh bought out SSK and then Bill (Bill Wilson of Wilson combat) Bought out Lehigh Defense. Will be very interesting to see where all that goes with the new plant in Texas.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm curious if the SSK breech plugs are the same quality at the originals (Lehigh pre-knight contract). Reason I ask, I was cleaning my two MLs, one a DISC Extreme with the Lehigh breech plug, the other an Omega with a standard TC plug modified by Ron. Same amount of shots of BH209, I swear, something about the Lehigh plug, it's just so much easier to clean. The crud seems to just wipe off and the plug is still mirror bright. Just quality machining I guess.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hubby11
I'm curious if the SSK breech plugs are the same quality at the originals (Lehigh pre-knight contract). Reason I ask, I was cleaning my two MLs, one a DISC Extreme with the Lehigh breech plug, the other an Omega with a standard TC plug modified by Ron. Same amount of shots of BH209, I swear, something about the Lehigh plug, it's just so much easier to clean. The crud seems to just wipe off and the plug is still mirror bright. Just quality machining I guess.
The big difference the Lehigh plug is 17-4 stainless steel and the Omega plug is 416 SS. 17-4 is a denser stainless and does clean easier...
Old 09-15-2022, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Have a good weekend, Bronko. And be darn careful with those tree stands. I stopped trusting my balance and strength with them about two years ago. I'm strictly a ladder/box stand or ground blind guy now. It's hell getting old.

I'll be out this weekend also doing hunting season prep. Mostly spraying food plots and preparing for planting just before the first good rain in early October. I may get in a little shooting with one or two of my 58 calibers, but that depends on how hot and humid the weekend turns out to be.

Old 09-16-2022, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
The big difference the Lehigh plug is 17-4 stainless steel and the Omega plug is 416 SS. 17-4 is a denser stainless and does clean easier...
It sure does. Makes sense that it is denser stainless; it feels heavier because it is! A great mod to the DISC Extreme.
Old 09-22-2022, 06:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Try as I might I didn't get out this week with the Knight. Thunder storm Tues, I helped a church member move yesterday and today is another rainy one. Tomorrow I promised my wife I'd take her out for the day. I always try to give her one day a week especially since I'll be hunting a lot starting October 1.
Old 09-22-2022, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Clem, like you I was going to try and shoot the Saboted 40x200gr Lehigh bullets he sent me. I hope to get to the range tomorrow morning at 8. Can't wait to see how these bullets shoot.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sabotloader and myself were going back and forth on my mountaineer BP because my bolt would not close completely. I kept reducing the length of the primer stack .002" or so at a time and still wouldn't close when I took .017" off it. I didn't want to risk removing any more material from it. After another discussion and Mike telling me he removed .020" from the BP face, I took off a little at a time until my bolt closed fully. Measurements showed I removed .014" off the BP face.