Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Black powder question >

Black powder question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black powder question

Old 04-28-2022, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Black powder question

Hi everyone,

I have a question. First, you need to know that I am gaining interest in traditional muzzleloaders, like flintlocks. I MIGHT try to use them for hunting, but I primarily want to use them for recreational target shooting.

Now, the question, I was browsing muzzleloaders on the internet, and I came across these. They caught my eye because I like to build stuff:

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collectio...-caliber-kr510

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collectio...-kit-flintlock

What do you guys think of these? Are they worth trying?

Jared
Old 04-28-2022, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hi Jared.

First of all, a warning. The muzzleloader bug is infectious. When a guy gets his first muzzleloader he runs the risk of becoming addicted. If that happens you will have an overwhelming need to acquire additional guns, equipment and shooting supplies. So getting the first one is not a decision to be taken lightly.

As for the two kits linked in your post, I suggest you eliminate the blunderbuss from consideration at this time. While it may be fun to shoot a few times, and will certainly make noise and smoke and possibly even hit something now and then, it's primarily a novelty gun. it's not a gun a guy would use often. And it certainly is not well suited to target shooting.

The Traditions Kentucky rifle is a pretty good deal and not a bad gun for plinking, target shooting or hunting. Putting that kit together would be interesting and fun for a guy who likes to build stuff. And you should end up with a functional gun that's not only fun to shoot, but much more practical than a blunderbuss.

Now there's the question of whether one's first traditional muzzle loader should be flint or percussion. Flintlocks can be finicky and have a greater learning curve than caplocks. You might consider the following kit.
TRADITIONS STL HAWKEN RIFLE KIT .50 CAL/ RAW HARDWOOD - Graf & Sons (grafs.com)

I generally recommend caplocks for a new muzzleloader shooter, especially when I don't personally know the individual's temperament or background. Other shooters may disagree with me on that point. There's nothing wrong with going with a flintlock as an introductory gun - it's a personal choice. But there's a greater chance of disappointment/frustration with the flinter.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

First, thank you for the warning. I admit it, muzzleloading is addicting. However, I’m working hard to make sure that addiction does not get out of control. I told myself that I would have an in line and a traditional, but nothing more. Two guns is enough.

Second, I appreciate you telling me about the blunderbuss. I’ll remove that from my list.

Finally, I was actually still debating whether I should get a cap lock or flintlock. To be honest, I want something that’s close to being historically accurate. I don’t know which one fits that bill. I figured it was the flintlock, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 05-04-2022, 12:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jnicholes
First, thank you for the warning. I admit it, muzzleloading is addicting. However, I’m working hard to make sure that addiction does not get out of control. I told myself that I would have an in line and a traditional, but nothing more. Two guns is enough.

Second, I appreciate you telling me about the blunderbuss. I’ll remove that from my list.

Finally, I was actually still debating whether I should get a cap lock or flintlock. To be honest, I want something that’s close to being historically accurate. I don’t know which one fits that bill. I figured it was the flintlock, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for all the input.
It depends on how far back you want to go as far as being traditional. The flintlock was invented sometime in the 1500s and the percussion cap rifles were introduced around 1805. One other thing to think about is your state's hunting laws. For instance in PA the late muzzleloader season is flintlock only. You can only use your percussion during the early muzzleloader season or during the regular rifle season. Also don't get hung up on getting a .50 cal. A .45 caliber is fine for deer and a bit cheaper to shoot.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
It depends on how far back you want to go as far as being traditional. The flintlock was invented sometime in the 1500s and the percussion cap rifles were introduced around 1805. One other thing to think about is your state's hunting laws. For instance in PA the late muzzleloader season is flintlock only. You can only use your percussion during the early muzzleloader season or during the regular rifle season. Also don't get hung up on getting a .50 cal. A .45 caliber is fine for deer and a bit cheaper to shoot.
Thanks. I actually just received it in the mail. I bit the bullet (pun intended) and decided to try it out. I got the percussion cap and not the flint lock.

In my state, there are muzzleloading regulations. However, this meets them.

I didn’t exactly want to use it for hunting, unless it’s extremely accurate. I mainly got it for recreational and target shooting.

Now, I need to pick up the rest of the stuff to put it together, like the wood stains.
Old 05-05-2022, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Take your time with your build and you'll get a more harmonious outcome! What caliber did you buy? Let us know if you have any questions about building, loading and shooting your rifle.
Get yourself a set of wood carving tools (likely Harbor Freight has them) as you will probably have some fine inletting to do. Don't use a dremel tool it removes wood too fast. You can always take more out but you can't put it back in- you can only fill in your mistake.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/...ucky-rifle-kit

Here is the one I got, as well as my progress so far. I was able to do the dry fitting, and with some adjustments to the wood, I got everything to fit.

I need to take it apart and stain the wood and barrel now.

Jared
Attached Thumbnails Black powder question-muzzleloader-kit_1.jpg   Black powder question-muzzleloader-kit_2.jpg  
Old 05-06-2022, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like a fun process Jared. After some practice once you get it shooting good don't be afraid to try it in the woods.

Lots of people hunt with similar set ups every year.

-Jake
Old 05-06-2022, 01:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jnicholes
https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/...ucky-rifle-kit

Here is the one I got, as well as my progress so far. I was able to do the dry fitting, and with some adjustments to the wood, I got everything to fit.

I need to take it apart and stain the wood and barrel now.

Jared
Are you going to brown the barrel or blue it?
Old 05-06-2022, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Are you going to brown the barrel or blue it?
i thought you could only brown that style 🤣🤣

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.