Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Ohio muzzleloader season Jan 8-12 >

Ohio muzzleloader season Jan 8-12

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ohio muzzleloader season Jan 8-12

Old 01-06-2022, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Default Ohio muzzleloader season Jan 8-12

Ohio muzzleloader season is looking to be a good one. Cold temperature, snow, just what you want for a late season. Only downside is it looks like allot of the bucks have already dropped their racks.

But I love late season. I was hoping to head to southern Ohio, Wayne N.F. and spend a few days.

Unfortunately I won't be able to get out much. We have some family stuff going on preventing me from leaving for a few days right now. Hopefully I can slip out for Sunday evening and a couple hours each on Monday and Tuesday. But will have to be on the public land close to home.

Good luck to anyone with a late season going on still

-Jake
Old 01-07-2022, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Finaly got out my old sidehammer 50 cal. hope to hunt the wv mountaineer heritage season coming next week. haven't hunted with it for 25 years or so.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey RR that is a unique muzzy. It does look old. Is that pitting up near the end of the barrel?
Old 01-07-2022, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Hey RR that is a unique muzzy. It does look old. Is that pitting up near the end of the barrel?
a bit of surface rust from neglect, think it was bought around 1982, killed a bunch of deer back in the day.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

How's the heritage season work in WV?

Ohio is just a muzzleloader season. Buck or doe.

Always a fun hunt though.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

next thur, fri, sat, and sun. the only days in the year you can take a bear, a deer, and a turkey at the same time, either caplock, flintlock, longbow, or recurve can be used.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

That,s a bummer your season is so short.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
next thur, fri, sat, and sun. the only days in the year you can take a bear, a deer, and a turkey at the same time, either caplock, flintlock, longbow, or recurve can be used.
That's a cool hunt. Chance at any of them makes it exciting.

-Jake
Old 01-07-2022, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GOOD OLE BOY
That,s a bummer your season is so short.
we have a solid 2 week buckseeason, 4 weeks of doe season, 5 weeks of bear season, 3 and 1/2 months of deer archery season, this is just 4 days of tradional equipment hunting to give the traditional hunters the best chance at whatever is available. we have very liberal hunting seasons.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

No deer seen. Sunday I hunted the last two hours of the day.

I was able to get out from 1pm- dark Monday and Tuesday. Monday I was able to sneak quiet so I did a 3 mile loop around the edge of a big swamp. Glassing into the edges of the swamp and the woods on the sides. No luck. Saw coyote that were too far to try to shoot. Saw an eagle.

Tuesday there was no way to walk quietly. So I did my best to sneak into an area where the public touches some private agriculture fields. Hoping to catch deer coming out of the thick stuff to feed. No luck. Saw more coyote tracks than deer.

Public land can be tough. Only deer I saw. At least I know they were there lol

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.