Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

RWS musket caps

Old 12-17-2021, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RWS musket caps

I have been shooting these rws musket caps for years. I bought a new leupold scope recently. I went to sight it in and every shot was blowing a small hole clean through the cap. I have never experienced this before.I am shooting a MK85 with 110 grains equivalent of triple seven. I use nosler 260gr bullets with MMP hp12 sabots. This has been my hunting load for 10 years now. Any idea why the caps are being blown out. Also, has anyone here had cataract surgery? I have always heard that you focus a scope by making the reticle super crisp. I can move any scope focusing ring and the reticles are always perfectly sharp. What I am aiming at is not super sharp anymore. Weirder yet is when I put the scope in 3 power the reticles and the background are sharp. If I put them higher then 7 the background gets a little blurry. Is this a byproduct of my surgery.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your load is hot as heII. That said your nipple is probably eroded to the point that you need a new one.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

This is the load Tony Knight told me to use in 1987. The exception being he told me to use a 260 speer 45cal hollowpoint. I have shot this ever since without any holes appearing in the musket caps. I will replace my nipple and see if it makes a difference..