Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Early ML season

Old 10-23-2021, 02:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Early ML season

Well the PA early muzzleloader season has come and gone. I gave the Knight disc extreme the nod all season but we didn't see hide nor hair of a deer. Don't know if I would have shot anyway as I had the grandson out most days and would have left him shoot.
Oh well. Looks like I'll be carrying it during the regular rifle season.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Had my new young hunter out today with the .350 legend. We saw plenty of deer. But the only two close enough to shoot was a spike and a real nice 6 point.

He had allot of fun and is ready to try again in the regular rifle season.
​​​​​​

Did you make it up to the camp any this week?

-Jake
Old 10-23-2021, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Of course then the bucks won't bed down in front of us. they'll be running 30 mph everywhere.

-Jake
Old 10-24-2021, 06:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Had my new young hunter out today with the .350 legend. We saw plenty of deer. But the only two close enough to shoot was a spike and a real nice 6 point.

He had allot of fun and is ready to try again in the regular rifle season.
​​​​​​

Did you make it up to the camp any this week?

-Jake
Isn't that always the way it goes. Its going to rain here tomorrow but I'll be out on Tuesday and I'd be willing to bet that bear will stroll past my stand without a care in the world...LOL
Old 10-29-2021, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

Clem, same here. I had corn up to the edge of the woods I was hunting. Got down as I could hardly see the green fiber optic front sight and it was no longer legal hunting time. As I passed the last row of corn and entered the harvest soybean field there were 3 nice size does browsing. Legally it was too late to shoot, and they were way too far away. I tried to put the sight on them but I could just barely see a little glow and that was it. However, I did try to see how close I could sneak upon them. But it was useless, but it was nice at least to see a deer. Next time as dusk approaches I'm going to remove the rear aperture and use it as a Ghost sight.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

I got a nice big Doe on the first day with my .50 Trads Vortek Pistol
Old 10-30-2021, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Opening ML season in VA today. 6 hour sit this morning, only saw one doe just before legal light. Trying again tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Our opener isn't until Nov. 13th. so I'm still trying to decide which gun to carry that morning. Right now it's a toss up between the .50 Omega X7 (light and compact) or the TC Hawken with a .58 caliber, 32' long Green Mountain barrel (not so light and compact). Our lengthy 80 day season will give me the opportunity to carry each or those, and a few others, at one time or another.