Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Rice Barrels BIG .50 Cal at 1,200 Yards, 3 Consecutive Hits on Steel >

Rice Barrels BIG .50 Cal at 1,200 Yards, 3 Consecutive Hits on Steel

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rice Barrels BIG .50 Cal at 1,200 Yards, 3 Consecutive Hits on Steel

Old 05-05-2021, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rice Barrels BIG .50 Cal at 1,200 Yards, 3 Consecutive Hits on Steel

I got my BIG .50 Cal on Steel at 1,200 YARDS this morning, 3 Consecutive Hits on my 20” Plate 👍

The Video

My Rifle, Rice Barrel Co. 32” inch 1:24 Twist .50 Cal Barrel, In a TC Hawken Stock, Lee Shaver Long Range Soule Tang Sight, and Lee Shaver front sight (non adjustable) With Lee Shaver inserts

Bullets, I chose my 610 Grain BACO Grease Groove for this Shoot (Mold i had Made) I cast these of Certified 1-20 Alloy, Lubed with my “Modified“ Bullshop NASA Lube

Back when i Chronographed this Load

Ranged with my Leica 1600B Rangefinder, and Google Earth Shot in Yards, This is a TRUE 1,200 YARDS

A look from my Rifle, That is a VERY small Target with Open/Peep Sights for this Kind of Distance, My Entire Target (White Backing) is ONLY 3 Ft By 3Ft Square. My Steel Plate is 20 inch Square, 1/2” AR500 Plate, It weighs 60 Pounds

My 3 Consecutive Hits, Shots Number 3 & 4 are Very visible, 5th and Final Shot Just Cuts the Right side of the Plate

5th and final Shot up Close, Cuts the edge of the plate, exits the Cardboard Backing

What I could find of my Bullets, Even at 1,200 Yards They stil hit with SERIOUS authority!! They are Splattered to Pieces
Old 05-06-2021, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I saw a guy do this on another forum!!!!!!! Lewis I'm considering getting a Rice barrel in .45 cal and if you don't mind I would appreciate if you could send me a pm with some info as to length and twist rate. I'd like to use my 390 gr paper patched or a 340 gr full bore conical.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great Job!!
Old 05-07-2021, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you Guy’s, I have a LOT of Fun with this Stuff 👍 Everything HAS to be right to make these Shots, But FACT is, you can most definitely do it with steady, good conditions, as you can Clearly see it is Repeatable. The Day before this i was Shooting this Same 1,200 Yards in the Wind, I was Holding as much as 17-18 MOA of Wind! I hit my Gong Chain 1 Time, and Cut the Leg off my Stand on another 😃 I punched Several Holes through my White Backing, So I was ALL OVER around it, But never did get a Solid hit on the Gong. It was neat to watch my Bullets hit, The Puff of Dust that kicked up would IMMEDIATELY Drift HARD to the Right in the Wind. Shooting in the Wind is Fun when you have a Rifle/Load that is Dialed in, But it SUCKS with a Rifle/Load that is not.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's great shooting. The wind this year has been awful. We had a week period that we had 4 days of wind over 50 mph. One day we had 70 mph wind. I can't catch a break.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by idahoron
That's great shooting. The wind this year has been awful. We had a week period that we had 4 days of wind over 50 mph. One day we had 70 mph wind. I can't catch a break.
That plain sucks! This has been a rougher than usual Spring, start to summer here thus far, Lots of Wind, You can Pretty much count on it setting in Daily, I have been able to Pick & Choose a Few Good Calm Mornings right at Daylight, But By 8-9 am the Wind runs me out, Perfect shooting weather (For ULTRA Long range anyway) Has been slim pickings. We are already DUSTY Dry here, If it stays this way we will be “CRISPY” Dry by July, about perfect timing for the 4th of July IDIOTS to Set this Country on Fire.

I know you guy’s get a LOT more Wind than we do, Is there a Best time of year down there for less Wind? Certain months that are milder than others? Spring is when we get our Harshest Wind up here in the Extreme North end of our State
Old 05-10-2021, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year we had some calmer days in late July and August.