Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Thinking of a new bullet mold >

Thinking of a new bullet mold

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thinking of a new bullet mold

Old 03-03-2021, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Idaholewis
At the Highest point in the Trajectory rainbow, The bullet is 55 feet above the Target.

That Bottle is my Between Shot Swabbing solution, Which is HIGH Content Isopropyl Alcohol, HEET Fuel Treatment in the RED Bottle to be Exact
Thanks Lewis. And wow 55'. If shooting at an animal that trajectory arc would really make getting the range right extremely critical. Sounds like even if you're off 10 yards you'd have a complete miss!? But I imagine just talking to you that you would never even attempt such a shot. Even though the bullet is capable of doing its job.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Thanks Lewis. And wow 55'. If shooting at an animal that trajectory arc would really make getting the range right extremely critical. Sounds like even if you're off 10 yards you'd have a complete miss!? But I imagine just talking to you that you would never even attempt such a shot. Even though the bullet is capable of doing its job.
I do it for Fun, and the Challenge (These Long Range Shoots with OPEN/PEEP Sights are EXTREMELY Challenging) But I would NEVER EVER attempt a Shot like in my Videos above on ANY Big Game Animal, it’s an unethical & Irresponsible thing to do. These Big Bullets have PLENTY OF POWER & THEN SOME to be LETHAL on ANY Big Game at those Ranges, That’s not the Problem. The Problem is their ETA (Estimated time of Arrival) to the Target. These Big Lead Bullets are in the Air for Several Seconds, Plenty of Time for an Animal to COMPLETELY Step away before the Bullet Gets there. Even though I practice, and Shoot these Long Range Shoots on a REGULAR Basis I am DEAD AGAINST Shooting at ANY Big Game Animal at these EXTREME Distances. Through LOTS of Work, Determination & Dedication i have become very efficient at Hitting Targets at EXTREME Ranges, But it’s a Target ONLY Thing for me. Anyone that would take Shots at Big Game Animals at these Distances is NOT an Ethical Hunter, And should have their Hunting License Revoked For LIFE if Caught doing it, I would drive to my State Capitol to Sign a Petition against it, in hopes of Outlawing it. That’s my opinion anyway.

Last edited by Idaholewis; 03-03-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Idaholewis
I do it for Fun, and the Challenge (These Long Range Shoots with OPEN/PEEP Sights are EXTREMELY Challenging) But I would NEVER EVER attempt a Shot like in my Videos above on ANY Big Game Animal, it’s an unethical & Irresponsible thing to do. These Big Bullets have PLENTY OF POWER & THEN SOME to be LETHAL on ANY Big Game, That’s not the Problem. The Problem is ETA (Estimated time of Arrival) to the Target. These Big Lead Bullets are in the Air Several Seconds, Plenty of Time for an Animal to COMPLETELY Step away before the Bullet Got there. Even though I practice, and Shoot these Long Range Shoots on a REGULAR Basis I am DEAD AGAINST Shooting at ANY Big Game Animal at these EXTREME Distances. Through LOTS of Work, Determination & Dedication i have become very efficient at it, But it’s a Target ONLY Thing. Anyone that would Hunt, Shoot at Big Game at these Distances is NOT an Ethical Hunter, And should have their Hunting License Revoked For Life if Caught attempting it, I would drive to my State Capitol to Sign a Petition against it. That’s my opinion anyway.
Lewis I couldn't have said it any better. In fact 2 years ago I purchased a Bergara HMR in 6.5 CM to shoot long range with. I didn't get it for hunting but just to play around with shooting steel and ridiculous distances. If I do decide to use it for hunting I wouldn't shoot much beyond 400 yards even though 600 yards isn't at all difficult.
I much prefer getting close to my quarry which is why I enjoy archery and muzzleloader hunting so much (sidelocks). Something about hunting on a cold frosty morning and having a target animal so close you can see the steam and snot coming out of its nose!!