Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New to me

Old 02-06-2021, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default New to me

Well my 700ML came today. I took it all apart which was somewhat of a challenge. The previous owner said he hadn't used it in a few years and wasn't sure if he had greased the BP. Well Apparently he didn't! I had to spray some WD-40 down the bore and let it sit for about an hour. Then clamping the receiver into a padded vice and using a pretty good bit of muscle on the socket wrench I was able to get it out. After removal I looked down the bore and winced. It looked pretty bad but thank goodness it was only dust/dirt. One wet patch and it was nice. No evidence of rust or pitting. But just in case I buffed the bore with some Flitz then wiped it dry and gave it a nice coat of oil.
My order is in to Badger Ridge today and I will be sending the bolt out on Monday to install their bolt face for their 209 conversion.That crown looking contraption on Remington's BP is really ridiculous looking. No wonder you get blowback from them.
My Konus M-30 scope and stainless rings are on the way to put on it. I thinks its a pretty good looking rifle. When I get back up north I'll be putting camo on the stock.
Attached Thumbnails New to me-700ml.jpg  
Old 02-07-2021, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Both of the old 209 setups for the 700ML were a joke at best. Might as well just use the percussion nipple. The Badger setup aka Hunter Bolt Nose kit is super well tested. A guy on the other forums sold them directly for years. There are even a few options for aftermarket 45cal barrels for the Rem700ML. If you get any blowby in the primer just shim the primer pocket. Its pretty easy to do and basically a permanent fix.

BTW get a 4 or 5 pack of vent liners when they ship the bolt back. You will be set for years.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I believe you got one of the original 700ML's. It appears to be a 24" barrel versus the later model 26" barrel. That rifle really is a well done and strong ML. With that said as much as like my Knight rifles this is a better purchase than the 52 in my mind. I really do wish Remington had stayed with the ML's a lot longer. Doing some research I think you will find that is really an excellent barrel.

They really do work well!

Old 02-07-2021, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

The 700 ml is a good gun . Its also a great platform for a custom if someone wants to go that route.
i have a 50 and 54 that are stock and 3 that are custom in 408,451 and ,500 cal. I originally was going to have the other two done as customs in 368 and 540 to. Complete the set but never did so they remain stock except for Boyd's laminate stocks .
Old 02-09-2021, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Talking

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
The 700 ml is a good gun . Its also a great platform for a custom if someone wants to go that route.
i have a 50 and 54 that are stock and 3 that are custom in 408,451 and ,500 cal. I originally was going to have the other two done as customs in 368 and 540 to. Complete the set but never did so they remain stock except for Boyd's laminate stocks .
Yeah, it is a good gun but its not a CVA!!! I sent my bolt to Badger Ridge yesterday. When I talked to Tom there he was awaiting on main springs from Rem.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just compare scope mounting options to all other MLs combined. Nothing comes close to what is available for Rem700s and clones. Even a TriggerTech trigger will drop right in the 700ML. Your stock options are virtually endless and there are even some nice cheap ones.

Watch for anyone selling the OEM composite stock from a Rem700 UML. It will drop right in without any work at all. Some of the Bergara B-14 stocks will fit with only minor work. They are really cheap and NICE stocks.
https://bergara.bpishopping.com/shop...ts/stocks.html

Last edited by Gm54-120; 02-09-2021 at 08:30 AM.