Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shot the Encore pistol today >

Shot the Encore pistol today

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shot the Encore pistol today

Old 01-05-2021, 01:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shot the Encore pistol today

Took the modified Encore 209x50 barrel out today (see cut and crowned). Set the target up at 50 yards. First 3 shot group using 80 gr of BH209 and Hornady 300 gr XTP with Harvester CR sabot produced a group measuring about 4". A reason for this big group could have been the hang fires I was getting. I tried both Win and CCI 209 primers. Maybe it could be that I need a BH209 breech plug (please advise). Switching to 80 gr of Alliant Black MZ and the same bullet my group size cut down to slightly less than 2 1/2". Zero hang fires with the Black MZ.
I switched targets and using the same 80 gr charge of Black MZ but a Speer Gold Dot 185 gr and black Harvester CR sabot I was elated with the result. A nice group about just a tad over 3//4" C-C. This barrel shoots better than when it was longer. Of course I removed the QLA which could have been an accuracy killer.
Attached Thumbnails Shot the Encore pistol today-pistol-target.jpg  
Old 01-05-2021, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

That Gold Dot will do you just fine Bronko. I'd love to know what velocity you're getting with that load.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

Don't know if they make a BH 209 specific breech plug for the Encore, but I use the standard one in mine with no troubles. Try to press the bullet down onto the powder charge with a fair amount of force. I've read 209 needs to be packed pretty firmly to ensure consistent ignition. You might also try Federal 209 primers; I think that's what Blackhorn recommends.

That's definitely good shooting, both on your part and the gun's. That setup ought to get you past 100 yards.

Old 01-06-2021, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe BH209 was developed using the Encore/Omega breech plug for testing. So I don't think you can do better, meaning what you have is a "BH209 breech plug." They did make a few types of breech plugs for the Encore in the early days, maybe post a pic.

In any case, looks like you have a killing load. If you want, experiment with maybe some Speer 240 gr bullets.

Good shooting!
Old 01-06-2021, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks on the BP info guys. It could be possible that the charge wasn't packed tight enough. It's a bit difficult to get as much pressure on the ramrod with a pistol as with a rifle.
I remembered the pressure issue with the Black MZ and used two hands on the pistol and push the ramrod against the post for the range roof . I'll do that next time out with the BH209. I'm also going to try and get my hands some 209 Magnum primers.
I did some research after posting this thread on the BP and I could not find a specific BH209 BP for the Encore/Omega. When I cleaned the rifle I did notice a piece of foreign material in the flash hole that looked like a burr of sort. It wouldn't come out with forced air but I was able to remove it with a thin copper wire. I may just try and ream it out a little with careful drilling with a .030" bit and my drill press.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will second the fact they had a few different breech plugs on the encore guns
II know I had a lot of issue's with mine and (barrels too, gun was just a BAD one IMO< it was sent back to TC several times, and had many personal chats with Greg there, where even they couldn;t do better than a 2 inch group at 50 yards) )
I was also given a few different breech plugs to try before gun went back to them!

in the end could NEVER get gun to shoot well consistently, ( and I tried like heck, been to a few custom rifle makers shops too and they gave up as well, I must have spent a grand or more trying to make it work, at some point it became a mission more than a need ), and the list of things I had done to that gun is crazy, not to mention an easy 500+ rounds down barrels trying things!

and after it all, I had to admit defeat and sold it !
TC wouldnl;t stand behind the gun either by the way, they TOLD me straight up a 2 inch group is more than accurate to kill deer and that was all they could get the gun to do and this was at 50 yards on there test range!(also one of the reason I sold the gun, wasn't happy they had so little care in things and I knew Greg personally for yrs prior to this!)
a shame as I know so many with them that are just super accurate reliable guns!

so I know for a fact there are a few different versions of breech plugs,
so depending what one your's has might be a slight cause in things

I never had any delayed fires with any design I had and I did use BH 209 powder, but I am sure its possible pending the designs nd how well a charge is packed in the bore
I can also tell you many primers are just NOT as clan as others and can block the hole more than others with build up!
Old 01-06-2021, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some more info on the breech plugs. Omega/Encore breech plugs (same plug) have gone through some evolutions but the most recent version that is not a speed breech is at least ten years old. It is a "deep dish" plug, with a cup to allow loose powder to burn more efficiently, but also with a lip that is thick enough to support pellets. Some older versions had a flatter face that was not as versatile. I don't have pics but pretty sure other regulars have.

Where is sabotloader when you need him?
Old 01-28-2021, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys I'm down in FL for the winter staying warm and cozy. I did order a new BP for the Encore and it is sitting here in my bag to head back up north in May. Really ticked me off that I didn't realize the fire channel went from about .060" down to .030" at the face. And I did such a nice job of putting that "cup" in it! Oh well, the new plug was cheap enough.
One other question because I have a .45 cal Encore barrel, will the speed BP work in my Encore or no? Only asking because I'll be ordering another BP for a spare.