Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New disc extreme/ BH209 ? >

New disc extreme/ BH209 ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New disc extreme/ BH209 ?

Old 12-21-2020, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default New disc extreme/ BH209 ?

I just ordered a new knight disc extreme to replace an old lk-93. I have been wanting this gun for years and had planned to use blackhorn 209 with cci/federal primers. 777 is too dirty imo. I have searched many forums and i know there have been some changes in the breech plugs to use bh209. I thought knight used to offer a long stem breach plug for loose powder but its no longer offered. I did see a vented one. This is the fpj full plastic jacket version. Im assuming Knight has opened the flash hole a little for this powder. Most of the forums info is from 2008 to 2014 discs. So is the current disc breach plug compatible (or optimized) for blackhorn or do i need to order the vent breach plug? My gut feeling says it will fire. Im sure Cuyagad(sp) would have the low down.

Also is the bare primer breach better and have any blow back?

Last edited by ruffhunter; 12-21-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

You want a Lehigh bare primer conversion kit. Its FAR better than the red FPJs for BH209. Plus the breech plug is made from 17-4 SS instead of 416SS. Its a MUCH better stainless and its cheaper than the Knight plug too.

Adapter that stays in the bolt. $14.50
https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.co...product_id=258

Breech Plug with 1 vent liner $16.50
https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.co...product_id=259

Extra vent liners $22. They last quite a long time but its a good idea to have extra.
https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.co...product_id=282

Last plug i got was about $8 shipping and he shipped fast.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

I almost mentioned Lehigh and the beech plugs were not even listed on their website. I was thinking bare primer was the way to go. The knight new bolt conversion was too much. Thats cheap Thanks. Curious which brand primer do you favor? I know the winchester is a few thousands.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

WIn209s or Fed209A
Might need a slight amount of shimming in the primer pocket for a perfect seal. Badger Ridge Industries sells small packs of shims or you can buy a bag from McMasters. As long as a unfired primer crushes .003-.005 just closing the bolt on it you are fine. None of my Knights needed any shims with a Win209 but they did with Fed20As.