Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Muzzleloader. Is it worth it? >

Muzzleloader. Is it worth it?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader. Is it worth it?

Old 12-02-2020, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by idahoron
I am in Southern Idaho. I hunt almost 100% with a muzzleloader for big game. I have been hunting with them for 40 years. I have killed some pretty good animals with mine. That said our state F&G is not doing well with managing our state right now in my opinion.
A great gun to hunt Idaho with is a Knight MK85. I have a couple of them that I use from time to time on certain hunts. This rifle is Idaho legal.

I mostly use a more traditional rifle. Here are my Renegades.

This is my Hawken

Our laws for muzzleloader are not that hard to figure out. If you need help I would be glad to assist you with it.
Here are a few of the animals I have taken with mine.

Here are my kills, in case you are interested. These were done with rifle, not muzzleloader.

You can see the age difference between kills in me. 2016 was the whitetail deer. 2018 was the mule deer. September 2020 was the black bear.

Muzzleloader. Is it worth it?-image_6483441.jpg

Muzzleloader. Is it worth it?-image_6483441_2.jpg

Muzzleloader. Is it worth it?-img950312.jpg
Old 12-02-2020, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jnicholes
Here are my kills, in case you are interested. These were done with rifle, not muzzleloader.

You can see the age difference between kills in me. 2016 was the whitetail deer. 2018 was the mule deer. September 2020 was the black bear.

Attachment 40176

Attachment 40177

Attachment 40178
them are some awesome mule deer you got , and tghe rest of them critters are nothing to pass on
hats off to you being able to hunt as you do
my eye's have gone down hill past few yrs, open sights cause me struggles now,
I'm glad I can still use a scope
Old 12-03-2020, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Attachment 40176

Attachment 40177

Attachment 40178
Great job! I think if you do get into muzzleloader hunting you will enjoy it. Make sure to get good equipment that you can trust and practice.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Attachment 40176

Attachment 40177

Attachment 40178
What city are you living in now?
Old 12-03-2020, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by idahoron
What city are you living in now?
oh, I live in Boise now. I used to live in Nampa, and I used to live in North Idaho.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:32 AM
Spike

To me they are worth it. Last year was my first year muzzleloader hunting. About 30 minutes before end of shooting hours I got my first black powder deer(a doe). Ever since then muzzleloader season has become my favorite season. Not as many hunters in the woods, less pressured deer. If your interested in casting your own ammo, get a 50 caliber muzzleloader and shoot round ball. The ball should stop in the deer and you can recover both your deer and ball and re-cast your ball into a new bullet. There are some.that say round ball is inadequate for deer, that is far from the truth. Round ball is a good deer ammo you just have to know your limits and know your gun. A good starter gun would be a inline that is compliant with the regs of your state. Out of an Inline I would shoot sabots or powerbelts. If you want a traditional looking gun (caplock/flintlock) use round ball(some caplock can shoot conical ammo. Check your twist rate in your barrel. Conical ammo shouldnt be shot out of anything with a twist slower than 1:48, round ball should be shot out of a 1:48 and SLOWER twist 1:60 and slower is preferred for roundball, but 1:48 will work provided you find a good load that likes the medium twist). I personally prefer a caplock over an inline but that just my preference. And as previously mentioned Muzzleloading is ADDICTING.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

oh, I live in Boise now. I used to live in Nampa, and I used to live in North Idaho.
I'm in the Twin Falls area
Old 12-05-2020, 06:42 PM
Spike

I think it’s worth it. You get a whole new season to hunt.