Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Wrapping a Breech Plug >

Wrapping a Breech Plug

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wrapping a Breech Plug

Old 03-20-2020, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Wrapping a Breech Plug

For years now I have been wrapping my Knight breech plugs with Teflon tape versus using any type of grease. I have always used the normal White plumbers tape to complete the job. And it really has been a good experience for me.

So after wrapping this is what a completed project would look like

Well, this summer when working with technician doing a safety check on a commercial kitchen hood, I noticed that he was using a different Teflon than I had seen before. I asked him about the tape and it was his feeling it was a stronger tape and tended to seal much better than the normal white Teflon. With that small bit of information I thought it might be something I would like to try with my muzzleloaders.

So for the last few months I have been using this tape and 'for me' it certainly has proved to be a better sealing possibly stronger tape. The way I do this project the BP is completely cleaned and brushed with a wire brush to remove all foreign materials. Then with the BP inserted in the ratchet and socket I start a wrap around the nose with the tape extending over the nose. Actually I wrap the nose with two wraps then start down the BP to the ends of the treads. Cut the tape and then turn the BP in your thumb and forefinger to press the tape down in the threads. This tightens the tape to the body of the BP.

When the BP is wrapped, cut, and pressure rolled in your fingers the last step is to tap the taped that was extending above the nose down onto the nose. The two wraps over the nose will most always provide a near positive seal at the nose when the BP is tighten snugly up against the shelf in the breech.

It does take some practice to get the good wrap but once you have mastered it - it becomes very simple.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

What about getting the teflon tape out of the threads inside the barrel after firing
i quit using teflon due to the tape becoming melted into the threads
whats the solution there . I went back to grease but if there is a way to eliminate the melting i would be interested in trying it again
Old 03-23-2020, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Im not a fan of using Teflon tape on the breech plug. I've never tried it but my friend did on his brand new Encore
He had one heck of a time getting the melted tape out of the threads in the barrel. He was an unhappy camper getting it cleaned out
I have always used grease and never had any issues. I'll stay with what I know works. If it ain't broke , don't fix it..
Old 03-24-2020, 02:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is one of the most handy tools for cleaning threads you can find, its very reasonable in price and found at any Harbor Freight.
Those with bolt actions should consider the extension. Break opens do not need the extension. Do not use the stainless steel brushes in the package, rather use the nylon or brass.
They are snap fit and will NOT come apart.

Attached Thumbnails Wrapping a Breech Plug-img-1395.jpg  
Old 03-24-2020, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

This is what I do to get the tape out - works really well

I use this little device - turning counter clock wise.

If you add a little bit of bore cleaner to the brush - it does an amazing job on the tape residue and the carbon in the threads.

This pic shows the fiber brush that I use better

Last edited by sabotloader; 03-24-2020 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader,
All these pictures remind me how much i dont miss grease or tape!! Gotta love BH209!!

Just an fyi, i tried a different tape along time ago that burnt into the threads and was a nightmare to get it cleaned out. I'm sure that drill you got there would of worked. The regular tape i never had a problem with at all and it was cheaper!!