Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Come on Guys

Old 03-14-2020, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BuckDoeHunter
Just got back from the range, 110gr BH209 with a Hornady 250gr MONOflex, Harvester smooth black sabot, somewhat windy from right to left, took 24 clicks up from the previous target
6moa between 80grs and 110grs? Nice shoot'n.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
6moa between 80grs and 110grs? Nice shoot'n.

Thats what I thought too. Scope turrets were zeroed after the 80g load was shot. I put the target out at 100yds and shot the 110gr V load and missed the target. I could see the impact was low so dialed up 4 moa and shot again, still a little low, dialed up 2 more moa and shot the group posted. I'll go shot both those loads again and see If I get the same scope results.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats what I thought too. Scope turrets were zeroed after the 80g load was shot. I put the target out at 100yds and shot the 110gr V load and missed the target. I could see the impact was low so dialed up 4 moa and shot again, still a little low, dialed up 2 more moa and shot the group posted. I'll go shot both those loads again and see If I get the same scope results.
Just makes me wonder. Confusing. I don't get much more than 1moa switching from 84grs to 100grs BH by weight in my custom.

NOTE: The charges I mentioned are NOT for production rifles.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Could be my shooting style. Forend is rested on a rice filled bag, buttstock is rested on a handheld rice bag used for elevation adjustment, nothing to keep the barrel from jumping. The rifle weighs 8lbs 6.4 oz, which for my muzzleloaders, is a lightweight, maybe that too is causing the large elevation change.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could be my shooting style. Forend is rested on a rice filled bag, buttstock is rested on a handheld rice bag used for elevation adjustment, nothing to keep the barrel from jumping. The rifle weighs 8lbs 6.4 oz, which for my muzzleloaders, is a lightweight, maybe that too is causing the large elevation change.
It will be interesting your next results...….
Old 06-12-2020, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

I finally had a chance to verify my scope results from March with the Omega

The scope was dialed back down 6 MOA then the same 80gr V load was shot

Then the scope was dialed up 6 MOA and the same 110gr V load was shot

Now that I think about it, I should have held the forearm and shot the 110 V load again to see where it printed. I'm pretty sure the large MOA scope adjustment is the result of me resting the Omega's forearm on my rice filled bag and using my left hand to adjust the small bag under the buttstock.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would like to see this done holding the forearm with each load. It would be interesting if you need the same amount of adjustment and if your POI changes.