Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Optima Pro Mag Garbage Find >

CVA Optima Pro Mag Garbage Find

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Optima Pro Mag Garbage Find

Old 01-26-2020, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default CVA Optima Pro Mag Garbage Find

My Son in Law works for a major garbage company out of PA. and one day last year he brought me this CVA Optima Pro Mag, it's the older version with the steel receiver, the last digits of the serial number are (04) so it was a 2004 model. It's made around the same time as My CVA Accura 1st Generation which is the one I still use today (it's my baby) and at the time I also bought another which is still NIB. I'll try and make this short....the Optima was Not taken care of, I had to Easy Out the Firing Pin Retainer because it was stuck from not cleaning, the Breech Plug wouldn't move. I put scrubber the barrel and cleaned it as best I could and then sprayed a bunch of "PB Blaster" down the barrel and let it set for about 4 Months. A few weeks back I decided to tackle the project as I just finished working on My Dixe Tennessee Mountain Rifle and Winter here in the North is Boring. I got the Breech Plug removed and inspected the Barrel, it was awful inside and the outside was Pitted in a few places also. Long hours of scrubbing and cleaning the inside of the barrel was worth it, it came out way better than I expected. The only minor place where there was any sign of color was near the breech when that's to be expected on one this so badly taken care of but I was amazed at how nice the rest was. So I emery clothed down the outside rust and pitting on the barrel and polished it to where the steel was perfect and Re-Blued it and lightly scuffed the Receiver and Blued it also, it looked Great! Next was to see if I could find a new Breech Plug, Firing Pin Retainer, Firing Pin, O Ring and Spring, I called CVA. Now I had purchased a extra Breech Plug for My CVA Accura when I bought it and it looked exactly the same as the Optima's and so did the Breech Plug from My CVA Kodiak Mag. I told the guy on the phone from CVA that if the breech plugs were the same than I really didn't need one as I have one, he was Clueless about the Older CVA's, he said it wouldn't work so I ordered a breech plug and the rest of the parts and they came. The Breech Plug was the exact same as the one I had for My CVA Accura and for My CVA Kodiak Mag. It would have been nice to talk with some one who knew the Older CVA's instead of just knowing about the Newer Models. Anyway's I ordered extra Firing Pin Retainers, Pins, O Rings and Springs and got another extra Breech Plug for My Accura on E-Bay which CVA has listed on their web page but does not say it fit's a CVA Accura 1st Generation, there is No Mention of any replacement Breech Plugs at CVA for the Accura even though they all fit the MLers I mentioned above. CVA also list a replacement breech plug for the Older Optima's before 2010 and another for other Optima's but they are the exact smme Breech Plug with different order numbers. I wish they knew what they are doing there as I know more about the older CVA's then they do. Enough of that. So I also needed a replacement Ram Rod for the Optima and I got one also on E-Bay. So here's the "Garbage Find" CVA Optima Pro Mag, she looks way better then I ever thought as at one time I was considering throwing it back in the garbage. Now it fit's nicely in My Older Collection of CVA's, My CVA Stag Horn, Hunter Bolt Mag, Kodiak Mag, 2 Accura's 1st Generation and now the Optima Pro Mag. I'll let you know how she shoots, she should do good.
Attached Thumbnails CVA Optima Pro Mag Garbage Find-037-640x480-.jpg   CVA Optima Pro Mag Garbage Find-038-640x480-.jpg  
Old 01-26-2020, 02:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like the Impact I bought online a year or so ago. Bore was horrible. But I got it cleaned up and it shoots decently. Bore is still pitted though and T/C wants more to put on a new barrel than you could get another rifle for.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

what a great find & gun itself looks great. glad you were able to find spare parts . yes it would be nice if cva would find somebody who knew older cva's better
Old 01-28-2020, 10:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some people have a ton of luck! And a work ethic that allows you work to save!
Old 02-06-2020, 06:37 PM
Spike

Don’t know if you know or care but CVA is offering 20% off sale items and 35% off reg price items in trade for most ML made prior to 2009. Check out their trade in program on the site. I am putting my Hunterbolt in the main next week. You could mail the one you found in and get a serious upgrade
Old 02-06-2020, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Stag Horn, Hunter Bolt Mag, Kodiak Mag, 2 Ist Generation ACCURA's 1 (NIB) and now the Optima Pro. Thank's for the Info on that but My Accura is My No1 go to MLer, she's My Baby, I don't think I'll ever upgrade her for anything except if I ever have to break out the "NIB" one. And the other's are just to look at I guess As for the Optima Pro "Garbage Find" it turned out to be a really Nice MLer, looks and she shoots great too. I was always when you find something that you love and shoots great than no need to change and that's what I found in My ACCURA, I'm sure there's new and better but sometimes new and better isn't as good as what you have. Thank's again.