Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hunting with homemade gunpowder? >

Hunting with homemade gunpowder?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hunting with homemade gunpowder?

Old 12-21-2019, 12:44 PM
Spike

Lightbulb Hunting with homemade gunpowder?

Anybody else have experience hunting with homemade gunpowder?

Fairly dangerous and I wouldn't recommend it unless you really know what you're doing, but to see my experience, Google "hunting with homemade gunpowder" and then select "Videos" to narrow the results, and you'll see a guy in blaze orange. That's me!

I'd love to hear about other people's experiences trying this.

(Sorry, accidentally posed this on the wrong forum yesterday. Will remove ASAP!)

-jd
Old 12-30-2019, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

It is so easy to lose your life and limbs.No use increasin your chances.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:54 PM
Spike

So true. I don't take the risk lightly and no one should.

In the video in question, I just say you combine the ingredients "in a special way." I omit key details intentionally. If you don't do it right, you'll always get a powder that's less potent, not more.

I guess there are a lot of "how to" sources of info out there (a lot of them are junk info). If those guys are OK with having that on their conscience, not my problem.

I still remember the first time I went to a little gun shop and bought a pound of authentic GOEX FFFFg black powder. The guy was kind of reluctant to sell it to me, and I said, "I suppose that much black powder could take my hand off." And he said, "Son, that much powder could take your house off its foundation." A little hyperbole, I'm sure, but he was right to make the point.

Then again, riding a motorcycle, operating a chain saw, etc. are risky too ... a lot of the cool things in life are.

Happy New Year to you, Spike.

- Jon