Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Fouling

Old 12-02-2019, 11:05 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default Fouling

What is defition of fouling?

Is just firing a primer or two enough?
Or do use some powder with your primer?
Or actually loadvand fire a real round?

JW
Old 12-03-2019, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just pop 2-3 209 primers and swab the barrel 1 time with a dry patch.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:56 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I've always popped a few #11s on my side by side shotguns but am rather new on groundball and then my inlines.
Thanks GM

JW
Old 12-03-2019, 04:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

JW, the definition of fouling is any foreign material in the bore. This includes primer or percussion cap residue. However neither 209 primers or percussion caps are corrosive. (at least not as fast as powder residue). The purpose of firing a couple caps or primers is not to foul the bore but to dry out any residual oil in the ignition area (breech).
Personally I never liked fouling the bore because I normally keep my muzzy loaded for the entire season. This includes my flinters. If I hunt in bad weather or suspect my powder may have gotten damp I will fire it off, clean the rifle and reload fresh.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
I just pop 2-3 209 primers and swab the barrel 1 time with a dry patch.
Yep! 209's or Caps - same process for me.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Personally I never liked fouling the bore because I normally keep my muzzy loaded for the entire season. This includes my flinters. If I hunt in bad weather or suspect my powder may have gotten damp I will fire it off, clean the rifle and reload fresh.
My muzzleloader shoots much more consistent groups with a fouled barrel. I sighted it in with a fouled barrel and foul it with a shot before hunting season. I use Blackhorn 209 powder which is not very corrosive so I am not concerned with leaving it fouled and loaded for hunting season. It cleans right up after.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:10 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dhasemann
My muzzleloader shoots much more consistent groups with a fouled barrel. I sighted it in with a fouled barrel and foul it with a shot before hunting season. I use Blackhorn 209 powder which is not very corrosive so I am not concerned with leaving it fouled and loaded for hunting season. It cleans right up after.
Well I do the same. I do fire one complete load right after just 1 primer.
But I hate wasting bullets.
So I asked.
Given time after seasons end I will experiment.
Just cap or primer vs full load.

JW
Old 12-09-2019, 03:17 AM
Typical Buck

If you just fire 2-3 caps to fowl your bore, you don't have to worry about the powder being corrosive to your bbl. Once you fire a full or partial load you will need to clean your bbl shortly after your days hunt. I would say the latest a couple of days before risking ruining your bbl.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

In my White rifles I fire off a cap or two to clear the channel. You can tell by the sound of the "crack" if its clear or not. Then I load the conical wrapped in white plumbers tape (one wrap) on top of the powder an wad. The plumbers tape simulates a fouled bore so I hunt on a clean bore. This has worked for years and again this past season. Not sure how it would work on a saboted load or a tight bore in other rifles, but sure works in a White!
Old 12-10-2019, 03:12 AM
Typical Buck

I'll have to try that Steve the next time to the range and see if my second shot is close to the first one.
Thanks..Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.