HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Fouling (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/422270-fouling.html)

JW 12-02-2019 11:05 AM

Fouling

What is defition of fouling?

Is just firing a primer or two enough?
Or do use some powder with your primer?
Or actually loadvand fire a real round?

JW

Gm54-120 12-03-2019 07:58 AM

I just pop 2-3 209 primers and swab the barrel 1 time with a dry patch.

JW 12-03-2019 09:56 AM

I've always popped a few #11s on my side by side shotguns but am rather new on groundball and then my inlines.
Thanks GM

JW

bronko22000 12-03-2019 04:45 PM

JW, the definition of fouling is any foreign material in the bore. This includes primer or percussion cap residue. However neither 209 primers or percussion caps are corrosive. (at least not as fast as powder residue). The purpose of firing a couple caps or primers is not to foul the bore but to dry out any residual oil in the ignition area (breech).
Personally I never liked fouling the bore because I normally keep my muzzy loaded for the entire season. This includes my flinters. If I hunt in bad weather or suspect my powder may have gotten damp I will fire it off, clean the rifle and reload fresh.

sabotloader 12-04-2019 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Gm54-120 (Post 4365880)
I just pop 2-3 209 primers and swab the barrel 1 time with a dry patch.

Yep! 209's or Caps - same process for me.

dhasemann 12-04-2019 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4365912)
Personally I never liked fouling the bore because I normally keep my muzzy loaded for the entire season. This includes my flinters. If I hunt in bad weather or suspect my powder may have gotten damp I will fire it off, clean the rifle and reload fresh.

My muzzleloader shoots much more consistent groups with a fouled barrel. I sighted it in with a fouled barrel and foul it with a shot before hunting season. I use Blackhorn 209 powder which is not very corrosive so I am not concerned with leaving it fouled and loaded for hunting season. It cleans right up after.

JW 12-04-2019 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by dhasemann (Post 4365968)
My muzzleloader shoots much more consistent groups with a fouled barrel. I sighted it in with a fouled barrel and foul it with a shot before hunting season. I use Blackhorn 209 powder which is not very corrosive so I am not concerned with leaving it fouled and loaded for hunting season. It cleans right up after.

Well I do the same. I do fire one complete load right after just 1 primer.
But I hate wasting bullets.
So I asked.
Given time after seasons end I will experiment.
Just cap or primer vs full load.

JW

edmehlig 12-09-2019 03:17 AM

If you just fire 2-3 caps to fowl your bore, you don't have to worry about the powder being corrosive to your bbl. Once you fire a full or partial load you will need to clean your bbl shortly after your days hunt. I would say the latest a couple of days before risking ruining your bbl.

toytruck 12-09-2019 06:40 PM

In my White rifles I fire off a cap or two to clear the channel. You can tell by the sound of the "crack" if its clear or not. Then I load the conical wrapped in white plumbers tape (one wrap) on top of the powder an wad. The plumbers tape simulates a fouled bore so I hunt on a clean bore. This has worked for years and again this past season. Not sure how it would work on a saboted load or a tight bore in other rifles, but sure works in a White!

edmehlig 12-10-2019 03:12 AM

I'll have to try that Steve the next time to the range and see if my second shot is close to the first one.
Thanks..Ed