Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Any Help Please

Old 10-29-2019, 05:27 PM
Spike

Question Any Help Please

Hello everyone I just acquired a CVA ACCURA V2 SS Thumb hole Stock and My question is has anyone been able to shoot conical's with good results? The rifling's look very shallow and I want to shoot conical's in this gun but not sure how it will perform with such type rifling's. It shoots with GREAT accuracy with any thing you stuff down its barrel with sabots BUT again I want to shoot Conical's if it will ..... Any info would be helpful Thank you
Old 10-29-2019, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. I would use a felt over powder wad with any conical however.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:22 AM
Spike

Thank you Bronko so do you think it would shoot a longer or shorter conical IE 460ge NEX or 440gr UC shorts going to order some from Bull Shop
Old 11-06-2019, 01:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Either one I think would be ok. Order one and see how it shoots and if you think you can get better with the other then try that. Each muzzleloader has its own favorite combo. They're like women, no two alike.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

That Bullshop 460 Grain Bullet will MOST definitely shoot in that 1:28 Twist The 1 Thing i would pay attention to is the Bullet Guided Muzzle (CVA’s Form of QLA) If your Rifle doesn’t Shoot well with a Wool Wad (I swear by Oxyoke Brand 1/8” Wool Felt) Try a Group with OUT a Wad, The Worst Luck i have EVER Had was with Over Powder Wads in a TC Hawken with their QLA Muzzle, UTTER DISASTER

This is my Copy of the Bullshop 460 Grain Bullet, i had a Mold Made. This was shot from my 1:28 Twist Green Mountain LRH Barrel
Old 03-15-2020, 10:09 AM
Spike

Default Some Help Please

Several years back I was given a TC Hawken with a messed up barrel. That was my first experience with a ML. I realized that it was unsafe to shoot, but I was lucky enough to obtain a Green Mountain drop-in with a 1-28 twist. Plans quickly changed when I realized that TC stock really didn't fit me & it didn't make sense to put that nice barrel in that crap stock. Long story short, I put my woodworking skills to work & using the salvaged parts, that barrel & a nice chunk of cherry I built a nice thumbhole stock for my first muzzleloader. My first shooting experience was with pre-packeged sabots & pistol bullets. I wasn't really impressed with accuracy so I never did much with it. Later, I had picked up a box of 500 gr. cast bullets swaged to .458 at a Cabellas bargain cave & then found a package of appropriate sabots, all of which are still sitting in my cupboard.
After reading the above posts I felt that I really should get that rifle out of the safe & see what it could do. Some times I realize I know just enough to be dangerous so I am looking for pointers on where I should start with loads etc. And, no, I am not looking for offers to take that gun & bullets off my hands for my own safety. So, any appropriate suggestions would be appreciated.
Paul aka Moosehuntersupreme
Old 03-16-2020, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Moosehuntersupreme
Several years back I was given a TC Hawken with a messed up barrel. That was my first experience with a ML. I realized that it was unsafe to shoot, but I was lucky enough to obtain a Green Mountain drop-in with a 1-28 twist. Plans quickly changed when I realized that TC stock really didn't fit me & it didn't make sense to put that nice barrel in that crap stock. Long story short, I put my woodworking skills to work & using the salvaged parts, that barrel & a nice chunk of cherry I built a nice thumbhole stock for my first muzzleloader. My first shooting experience was with pre-packeged sabots & pistol bullets. I wasn't really impressed with accuracy so I never did much with it. Later, I had picked up a box of 500 gr. cast bullets swaged to .458 at a Cabellas bargain cave & then found a package of appropriate sabots, all of which are still sitting in my cupboard.
After reading the above posts I felt that I really should get that rifle out of the safe & see what it could do. Some times I realize I know just enough to be dangerous so I am looking for pointers on where I should start with loads etc. And, no, I am not looking for offers to take that gun & bullets off my hands for my own safety. So, any appropriate suggestions would be appreciated.
Paul aka Moosehuntersupreme
That 1-28 Twist Green Mountain Barrel Setup Properly in the Stock will Shoot LIGHTS OUT Good!! I would put ANY of my Sidelock Muzzleloaders up against ANY Production inline Muzzleloader ANY Ole DAY!

My advice is to get a GOOD Conical Bullet such as Bullshop 460s lubed with His NASA Lube, And 1/8” Wool Felt Over powder Wads. I use Swiss Real Blackpowder pretty much EXCLUSIVELY in my Sidelock Muzzleloaders.

All of my Shooting with My Sidelock Muzzleloaders is Done with OPEN SIGHTS. This is My most recent trip out with 1 of my Green Mountain LRH Barrels, 1-28 Twist .54 Cal, in a TC Renegade Stock, Shooting 1 of my Paper Patch Bullets from a Custom Mold i had made

Last edited by Idaholewis; 03-16-2020 at 06:08 AM.