Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Long range MLs

Old 10-02-2019, 01:17 PM
Spike

If you want to stretch out a ML go with smokeless. I've had a gun built by Luke Horak (Arrowhead) and I now have a gun being built by Jeff Fisk (Bestill). My first gun was built on a Savage Target Action with a Brux 1:20 barrel. That gun has a McMillan stock topped with a Vortex HD Gen II scope. It will shoot better than I can ever shoot it. It's pretty unbelievable really. I live in IL so my guns have to be 45 caliber. This new gun is on a Remington 700 action and will have a Rock Creek barrel at 1:18. It will sit in a Manners T5A stock and I'm still undecided on the scope for that one. The stock is due in this month or next so I have some time to decide on a scope. Kyle Pittman makes some good bullets as does Jerry at Fury. I'll be trying the Fury Star Tip 2 in 325 grains on deer this season. I'm confident I can take a deer at 300 yards with my gun. I've shot beyond 300 but I'm not confident enough beyond 300 right now. Do some research on Dougs message board or Hank's message board. The Arrowhead gun shoots 325 grain bullets at 3025 FPS which is exhilerating!! Luke or Jeff are going to crank out great guns. I'd give Hollis Weber a serious look as well. Hollis Weber is Center Punch USA. All those guys can be found on Facebook and the web.

Good luck.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buckhtr77
If you want to stretch out a ML go with smokeless. I've had a gun built by Luke Horak (Arrowhead) and I now have a gun being built by Jeff Fisk (Bestill). My first gun was built on a Savage Target Action with a Brux 1:20 barrel. That gun has a McMillan stock topped with a Vortex HD Gen II scope. It will shoot better than I can ever shoot it. It's pretty unbelievable really. I live in IL so my guns have to be 45 caliber. This new gun is on a Remington 700 action and will have a Rock Creek barrel at 1:18. It will sit in a Manners T5A stock and I'm still undecided on the scope for that one. The stock is due in this month or next so I have some time to decide on a scope. Kyle Pittman makes some good bullets as does Jerry at Fury. I'll be trying the Fury Star Tip 2 in 325 grains on deer this season. I'm confident I can take a deer at 300 yards with my gun. I've shot beyond 300 but I'm not confident enough beyond 300 right now. Do some research on Dougs message board or Hank's message board. The Arrowhead gun shoots 325 grain bullets at 3025 FPS which is exhilerating!! Luke or Jeff are going to crank out great guns. I'd give Hollis Weber a serious look as well. Hollis Weber is Center Punch USA. All those guys can be found on Facebook and the web.

Good luck.
Its like Luke says, the best smokeless rifles make the best BH209 rifles also.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:27 PM
Spike

Lets see if this work. Pics of my gun (Except for the stock) from Bestill. Once the stock comes in from Manners the gun will go into it.
Attached Thumbnails Long range MLs-68824828_1381134572062721_3105314565357830144_n.jpg   Long range MLs-68824828_1381134572062721_3105314565357830144_n.jpg  
Old 10-02-2019, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buckhtr77
Lets see if this work. Pics of my gun (Except for the stock) from Bestill. Once the stock comes in from Manners the gun will go into it.
Seen that photo before
Its insane how accurate customs are at long range.
Jeff built mine also.

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 10-02-2019 at 01:34 PM.