Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Proper Muzzeloader loading >

Proper Muzzeloader loading

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Proper Muzzeloader loading

Old 09-16-2019, 06:14 AM
Spike

Default Proper Muzzeloader loading

Hello. I am brand new to this forum and new to muzzloading and I have a question. Laziness set in... i loaded my rifle (CVA OPTIMA). Using pellets (150gr of powder and 270gr bullet) BANG... ok adjust the scope. Now then, cleaned and I reloaded it again horizontally instead of taking it out and loading it vertically. Using the same process the bullet start walking all over the target. Does it make a difference if I laod it horizontally or vertically. I'm going to drop down to a 100gr. Set up with 250gr. Bullet to see if that makes a difference. I know all guns like their own recipe/set up. I haven't shot it alot due to the frustration of. The first 2 or 3 shots are ok and I can start walking it in to the center of the target after that it starts going all over the place. I do clean it after every shot. Thanks for any advise. Where I live know one either knows or wants to help. Kelly
Old 09-16-2019, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maximum charges are not always the most accurate, so you're headed in the right direction by changing things up.
Load your rifle with the muzzle UP.
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS...……. YES AGAIN, ALWAYS, USE A WITNESS MARK ON YOUR RAMROD.
Start with the basics, such as are your mounts and rings torqued to specification?
Are you using at minimum a quality scope?
Solid bench and solid rests?

I'm not one to suggest, let alone use powerbelt bullets, but if that's what you're using you might want to consider a much better bullet.
Pellets are not as good (in most rifles) as loose propellant, which can be tweaked. However the right combination when using pellets they will still shoot well.
Pellets will definitely create a situation where you'll need to swab between shots. What you swab with can make a huge difference. For blackpowder or pellets, I highly recommend Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. One single patch...…. SLIGHTLY DAMP...………. NOT WET...…….. down the bore both sides. Don't use a wet patch. All you need is an ever so slightly damp patch. If you use a wet patch, it can affect the bullet's POI.
Take time between shots to let the barrel cool back down.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:39 AM
Spike

I'm not a guru but dump the pellets. Loose powder , either Black, pyrodex or Blackhorn in the Optima. If you choose Blackhorn you need the Blackhorn breech plug.. Now If not, still clean your breech plug after every 8 shots or so. When you load and clean , do everything the same every time.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:59 AM
Spike

Thank you so much. Your information is golden. I will load vertically and try different types powder or pellets. Once I find the sweet spot I will write it down and put it in my range box. Same set up every time. THANK YOU. I damneered threw it in the trash last year. Lol... very frustrating. I guess it just takes along time to find the right combination. NOT like a regular rifle. BANG, adjust. BANG, adjust. BANG, ok your there. THANKS AGAIN.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:30 AM
Spike

Is it a 50 cal?
Old 09-16-2019, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

If you are using Triple 7 you need to know about the CRUD ring that builds up in the breach. It builds up over several shots and you can tell by looking at your Witness Mark on your ramrod as it will start climbing higher out of the barrel with the build up of crud. You can use primers that burn hotter to help keep the crud buildup down. I use loose blackhorn 209 powder now and do not have that issue. Just thought I would mention it in case you are using Triple Seven.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Agree on getting some loose powder. Go to wally world and pick up a jar of Pyrodex RS. Then get yourself a powder measure while you're there and maybe a flask to put your powder in. Start with 80 gr by volume. After each shot swab your bore with a spit patch both sides the a dry patch. I recommend putting a piece of masking tape on your ramrod once you know your bullet is firmly seated on top of the powder. Having the bullet off the charge is like a barrel obstruction.
Also NEVER fire your muzzleloader with an open container of powder on the bench. That is the reason I recommend a powder flask. Good luck