Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Cleaning barrel threads >

Cleaning barrel threads

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning barrel threads

Old 09-11-2019, 02:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cleaning barrel threads

If you have a Harbor Freight anywhere around, here's a dandy brush kit that you'll find in the automotive section, that will clean out the breech plug threads. It'll work with bolt actions, tip opens and clean the entire action of a Knight plunger rifle. Brushes in the kit come in different sizes and in stainless, brass and nylon. All pieces snap together and will not come apart in the action or threads.
Attached Thumbnails Cleaning barrel threads-img-1395.jpg  
Old 09-11-2019, 05:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice little kit. And from HF I'm sure the price is right. I get a lot of tools from them and they hold up well.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Nice little kit. And from HF I'm sure the price is right. I get a lot of tools from them and they hold up well.
It is as good a kit as I believe you can find. I purchased the extension along with the brush kit. Just know this... LOL.... some of the people that work at HF don't know they have them in stock. They are listed as automotive, so they'll be in the auto section.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

You like this idea better than a steam cleaner ? Seems the steam cleaner may get places where even a brush can’t
or you think combining both would be good ?
Old 09-11-2019, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
You like this idea better than a steam cleaner ? Seems the steam cleaner may get places where even a brush can’t
Never used a steam cleaner so I can't comment in them. However using both would be a good idea most likely. I no longer use breech plug grease and only Teflon tape with a drop of oil. I use just the brush and Hoppe's and it cleans well. After numerous range sessions, I might use the Remington Action Cleaner, but that's normally when I do a VERY deep cleaning, removing the trigger assembly and cleaning that..
Old 09-11-2019, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter

I am only speaking for Real Blackpowder Here, as it’s all i use. But i say a Combination of Both Steam Cleaner and Brushes, I like the looks of the Brushes that George Linked here, i will get them my next trip to Coeur d'Alene where we have a Harbor Freight. I only use my little Steam Cleaner on the Bolt Assembly, the Breechplug itself, And Vent liner. With Real Blackpowder the Breechplug and Vent liner get NASTY. The Bolt looks Brand New Since i get No Blowback, But i stil give it a good going over with the Steam Cleaner anyway.

Since Real Blackpowder is all i use, I gave up on Thread Taping my Breechplug, I seized a Plug 2 Different Times using the Teflon Tape with Real Blackpowder (I Felt Confident i had the Plug Wrapped Correctly, But something went wrong?) I had to use my Steam Cleaner to Break it free (Little Steam Cleaner Works VERY WELL if this ever happens, A seized Breechplug comes out EFFORTLESSLY with Hot Steam ) For Real Blackpowder I prefer to Grease the Breechplug with Knight BP Grease, Yea it’s nasty compared to Teflon Tape, But I know without a Doubt that my Breech Plug is coming out EASY When i get home, No matter how many times i have Shot the Rifle. I had a few good outings with the Teflon Tape, and then a Few bad ones to go with it. I found it to risky to chance for my liking, Plus i prefer to Give my Barreled Action a Bath anyway after Shooting Real Blackpowder. My Rifle Stays Cleaner than Brand New. In Fact this Mountaineer would EASILY Pass as Brand New Unfired, And that’s Counting my Breechplug and Vent liner, That’s how Clean my Rifle Stays.

Since i went back to Grease, As stated above, My Knight Mountaineer Barreled Action gets a FULL on Bath when i get Home, Just like My Sidelock Barrels, in the Same Bucket.

With Barreled Action Out of the Stock, I remove Trigger Group and set it aside, Point Barrel Down in my Bucket And Spray inside the Action/Breech plug Threads with Simple Green a Couple Blasts, It Cuts Grease REALLY well, Been using it in my Muzzleloaders from about my beginning in Muzzleloading, (I got that From Cayugad, it really works well!) I get the Spray Bottle of it that looks like Windex, it only takes a Couple Shots of it to Cut the Grease away. Since I don’t get Blowback in the Reciever of my Mountaineer it makes it EASY to Clean, But I stil like to Brush and Clean the Reciever, along with the Breechplug Threads with a Soapy Brush, At this Point, the Brushes that George Linked would Likely be better than the Nylon 12 Gauge Brush that i use? They sure look like it anyway. With the Reciever end Clean, i Place Reciever end in my Bucket of Warm Tap Water and do a Regular Bore Cleaning, Exactly like my Sidelock Barrels, Then Run Clean Tap Water All over, And Through the Action/Bore. And Last, But NOT Least, With Barreled Action in a Towel, i use my Air Nozzle from my little Air Compressor to Blow any Moisture from Reciever, Breechplug Threads Etc. BONE DRY, I run a Few more Dry Patches Through the Bore for insurance and it’s Done.

The above Method might Sound like a big Job, But it’s Not, I am done in 10 Minutes, 15 Max. You WON’T get a Gun Cleaner than Mine, It’s Not Possible

Last edited by Idaholewis; 09-11-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

Geez! I should have started a Thread of my Own on how I Clean my Knight Mountaineer after Shooting Real Blackpowder Sorry about That BarnesAddict, Thanks for the Link on the Brushes, i am Sure they will work Good in my Cleaning Routine.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:33 AM
Typical Buck

Lew sounds like another video is coming up??
Old 09-12-2019, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by edmehlig
Lew sounds like another video is coming up??
It would be beneficial for the very few of us folks using Real Blackpowder in these Modern inlines, But the Majority of guy’s that Buy these new Modern rifles no doubt intend to use BH209 in them, Which was my intention as well, until I found that BH209 Would Not Ignite my Target loads. I would stil clean this EXACT same way though even if BH209 had of worked, it might not be necessary with BH? But I would do it for the Peace at mind that my Gun was 100% Clean. The 2 times i played with BH209 and actually got it to fire the few times that it did, I was under the Understanding that it was Clean? I sure didn’t think so? I Swabbed between Shots and it was Plenty Dirty, NOWHERE near Real Blackpowder, But it was Stil Dirty
Old 09-12-2019, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

You'll like the brushes and kit. However just for good measure, one shouldn't use the stainless steel brushes in their rifle. The brass would be ok, but I only use the nylon brushes myself.
My last two breech plugs were both custom and rear sealing, thus just the tape and a drop of oil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.