Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
DUNAMIS a 45cal custom >

DUNAMIS a 45cal custom

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

DUNAMIS a 45cal custom

Old 08-30-2019, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default DUNAMIS a 45cal custom

Had some time and I set up the portable bench and took a couple photos of DUNAMIS outside. All the other photos I had taken were basically on the work bench or during the build.
I've owned and shot muzzleloaders since 1973 and this custom build is BY FAR the highest of quality and most accurate rifle I've ever owned. Bar none. I've sent rounds to 500yds in less than 1.5". NOTHING like a custom!

First, some of the specifics for those that hadn't seen them before:

DUNAMIS...….
inherent power, power residing in a thing by virtue of its nature

Bestill Creations LLC custom .45cal.
McMillan Game Warden, Dark McWoody finished stock with adjustable cheek (bedded)
Remington 700 S/A single shot (from BP Xpress)
Modified & tuned bolt w/stop, w/Badger Ordnance tactical bolt knob
ASG/AR breech plug
50 brass and 60 hardened modules
.250" recoil lug
Rock Creek 1:19 twist, heavy varmint barrel.... 1.250" for 5" then straight taper to .892" at 26", 28" OAL
LR Customs T-Rex CSTM muzzle brake...……… love it!
Jewel trigger @ 12oz.
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 MOAR
Leupold 15moa Mark4 mount (bedded to action)
Leupold Mark4 rings (lapped)
Attached Thumbnails DUNAMIS a 45cal custom-img-1554.jpg   DUNAMIS a 45cal custom-img-1761.jpg   DUNAMIS a 45cal custom-img-1760.jpg   DUNAMIS a 45cal custom-img-1762.jpg  

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 08-30-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very nice and Accurate. Did you say 1 1/2" group at 500 yards? That's incredible! I'm not even going to even guess what that entire package cost you. More than I could ever pay I'm sure.
Congratulations and good luck with it.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Did you say 1 1/2" group at 500 yards? That's incredible!
He says LESS than 1.5” at 500 Yards

Old 08-31-2019, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Very nice and Accurate. Did you say 1 1/2" group at 500 yards? That's incredible! I'm not even going to even guess what that entire package cost you. More than I could ever pay I'm sure.
Congratulations and good luck with it.
This rifle is more accurate than I'll likely ever be able to shoot it.

When I received the build, I remounted the scope and it took 2 rounds to set the zero. I replaced the large piece of cardboard for the zero set with a new target and the first 5 rounds went through the same hole at 107yds using BLACKHORN 209 and the Fury 275gr star tip2 bullets at 2,300fps. In the photos I'll attach, enlarge the photo and check out the single hole in the backstop.

After running the ballistics information and printing out my drop chart, I was able to make it up to the club's 600yd range. The drop chart I created with JBM matched PERFECTLY out to 500yds using BH209 and the Fury 275gr bullets. I had just sent my first round to 500yds, when the trucks started pulling in. As I was preparing my second round with BH, a father and his son set his equipment on the bench next to me. Note: The club's 600yd range only has 3 covered stations.
Knowing the blast from my muzzle brake would cause them much grief, I asked to send the second bullet before they started shooting and then I'd give it up for the day and let them shoot in peace. I sent the second round, also an attachment below and with the information on the target. Of the two that I sent at 500yds with BH209, I ended up with less than 1/2MOA.

My next trip to the range was after shooting for velocity with the Fury 300gr star tip2 bullets, but with smokeless propellant (2,847fps). I repeated the same process using JBM, however I found the suggested BC to be just slightly higher than actual at long range. I sent 2 rounds at 500yds using the JBM data and both were slightly low and right. Confident with the shots, I made the vertical adjustment and a minor horizontal adjustment and sent the 3rd round. Height was perfect, just needed to make another very slight horizontal adjustment.
It was after that 3rd round that I created a problem for myself, the first in 46yrs of shooting muzzleloaders, so I was done for the day.

However...……. the target with the tape measure showing the first two shots is also included. The 3rd shot shows the 3rd and final round for the day.

I have other obligations and don't know when I can make it back up to the 600yd range, but hoping maybe next week.
Attached Thumbnails DUNAMIS a 45cal custom-first-5-rounds-107yds.jpg   DUNAMIS a 45cal custom-img-1706.jpg   DUNAMIS a 45cal custom-img-1717.jpg  
Old 09-01-2019, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Definitely ready for Friendship. At the rate it going it seems they should change the name of the Match to the Bestill Creations Custom in-line match . One thing for sure since most of the guns are customs or a couple fast twist Knights at least you know it comes down to the trigger man. It’s not because someone went and spent a bunch of money on a gun in order to have an advantage cause there isn’t an advantage any longer when everyone has done that
Old 09-02-2019, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Definitely ready for Friendship. At the rate it going it seems they should change the name of the Match to the Bestill Creations Custom in-line match . One thing for sure since most of the guns are customs or a couple fast twist Knights at least you know it comes down to the trigger man. It’s not because someone went and spent a bunch of money on a gun in order to have an advantage cause there isn’t an advantage any longer when everyone has done that
Things change BIG TIME once you set down beside other shooters and they take away your rear bag.

I would have just loved to have been able to make the trip to the Nationals this month, but its not going to happen this year. Other priorities and another darn medical issue are keeping me close to home. I'm hoping I can make Bob's match in the spring if possible. The wife and I haven't had the opportunity to take a long day ride with the Slingshot this summer and I've only been to the range twice myself since receiving the rifle
I believe that they made some significant changes down at Friendship, and IIRC they went back to classifying shooters according to previous scores and maybe took away rifle specifications. Last time I shot there I shot in the expert classification, but not sure what I would shoot the next time. They might move me to master class, not because of the rifle I shoot, but because of my last score. Not totally sure, but the changes I think they made will benefit ALL modern inline shooters.
I haven't taken off the muzzle brake and tried 84/120grs of BH as yet. However, I am ready for the upcoming regular deer season and the dedicated muzzleloader season.