Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Flash Hole Care (Nipples, Vent Liners, Breech Plugs) >

Flash Hole Care (Nipples, Vent Liners, Breech Plugs)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Flash Hole Care (Nipples, Vent Liners, Breech Plugs)

Old 08-29-2019, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Flash Hole Care (Nipples, Vent Liners, Breech Plugs)

A Video i just did on Care, Cleaning Flash Holes in Nipples, Vent Liners, Breech plugs. Remember, a Flash Hole in a Nipple, Vent Liner, etc. is no different than The Bore of Your Rifle when it comes to Fouling, Blowback after Each Shot Coats the Flash Holes, If you don’t Properly Clean them it is No Different than Not Cleaning the Bore of your Rifle, The Nipple, Vent liner, etc. is Gonna Erode from the Corrosive Blowback

I know Doc White Claims his Breech plugs will last a Lifetime of Shooting, But I STRONGLY disagree with that. The Flash Hole is Gonna Wear like ANY other Nipple, Vent Liner etc. The one i have sitting here (in this Video Has a Flash Hole of .041, it is TOASTED!!) The Problem With Doc’s Breech Plug is they are 50 Bucks to Replace when the Flash Hole Wears/Erodes out. I see he finally started offering a Slotted Head Plug that uses 1/4-28 Nipples, That is the way to go in my opinion!! Just like the Knight Breech Plugs. Except I would MUCH rather see a Hex Head so a guy could use a Socket instead of the Slotted Deal.

Anyway, i do believe that a LOT of Flash Hole Wear/erosion comes from NOT only Shooting your Rifle, But NOT properly Cleaning the actual Flash Hole itself in the Nipple, Vent Liner, Breech Plug, and the Corrosive Blowback (No Different than in your Bore after Shooting) Will Erode the Flash Hole Out. A pipe Cleaner isn’t gonna Cut it here Folks, it simply won’t Fit in the Flash Hole itself. You need Something to “Sweep” the Little Flash Holes Clean, A Jet of HOT Steam from a little Steam Cleaner through the Flash Hole “Sweeps” it Spotless Clean!

Last edited by Idaholewis; 08-29-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

Lew, thanks for an excellent video! I went and checked what I thought was a clean White Breechplug and was I wrong! My little steamer will now be part of my cleaning routine on my muzzle loaders. Especially in cleaning the inside threads of the breech area as well as the breechplugs and the Nipples to my Renegade.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had Ron Laughlin do some machining on a couple of worn out White breech plugs so they now use ventliners. This has worked great for mee. Good tips on the cleaning.