Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Open Sight Guidance for LRH Redemption >

Open Sight Guidance for LRH Redemption

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Open Sight Guidance for LRH Redemption

Old 08-19-2019, 09:05 PM
Spike

Default Open Sight Guidance for LRH Redemption

I live in Colorado where open sights (no scopes, red dot, laser, etc. allowed) are required on muzzleloaders. I purchased an LHR Redemption 2nd hand. The sights don't work for me, as I cannot get my cheek any lower to align the front and rear sight, without pulling my neck back into a ridiculous position. I tried purchasing a different set of sights with a lower front elevation, but the rear sight was too long to fit given where the Redemption is tapped for the rear sight. Using the stock Williams rear sight with the with the aftermarket (TruGlo) front also isn't an option as that caused it to shoot absurdly high (1' at 25 yards). So I now understand that the height of the front and rear sights need to play well together.

I found this project a guy did on his T/C Contender that I want to replicate on my LHR Redemption. NOTE: I wanted to post the link but can't as a new user. It can be found by searching "Increased Accuracy from an Open Sight Muzzleloader" which should get you to a page on GoHunt website.
I'm struggling to figure out the correct Williams rear peep to fit with my Redemption. It's complicated by the fact that the Redemption's barrel is tapered. It's definitely 0.875" at the muzzle. But it's 1.123" at the rear sight area. I verified using a digital micrometer.
I am hoping that the Williams peep sight will stand taller and allow me to sight down it comfortably. Then I need to figure out what height combination to use for the Marble front ramp (either 0.100" or 0.225") and the Lyman globe sight (ranges from 0.404" - 0.875").

Any insight and guidance would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has a recommendation for a gunsmith in the Denver metro area, I would be more than happy to pay for them to "fit" the gun by helping me figure out the this project.

Lastly, I spoke to a gun fitter who specializes in trap shotguns who felt the issue could be corrected by putting some angle on the cut of the butt stock. I was able to manipulate the gun to follow what he was proposing. However, he wanted too much money for my budget. So I decided getting a taller rear sight and the accordingly matching front sight would be a better solution. Thanks in advance for the help!