Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Paper Patching Tip >

Paper Patching Tip

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Paper Patching Tip

Old 08-15-2019, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by edmehlig
Lew, I believe this is what Bronko was referring to? We use to use them in school when we were kids. https://www.amazon.com/Avery-05729-D...YNXSG5XKZQN383
Ok, That makes GOOD Sense

Bronko, This is a DARN Good idea!! This would Solve the Problem of pushing through the Jacket, I wonder if a person could get these in Larger Diameters? Closer to .440 (the Bullet Diameter), Although the 1/4” would probably be just fine. Do you know the Thickness of these, or Close abouts? GOOD Thinking Bronko! I would like to try this
Old 08-15-2019, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tried to post a pic of these but somehow my post didn't show up. I like the Avery with the peel and stick. Never did like licking the glue on those things in school! You know that with these I can cut my paper a bit narrower so there's not as much excess over the base for the tail. You probably only need 1/8"-3/16" to fold over.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I tried to post a pic of these but somehow my post didn't show up. I like the Avery with the peel and stick. Never did like licking the glue on those things in school!
I’m thinking you started something good here Bronko The Tail “Tucking” Method is WIDELY used for Flat Base Bullets by the Serious Competition Folks, and as you can see it works really well, allows the Bullet to Stand perfectly, Unlike a Twisted Tail that is Left hanging under the Base. The Tuck Method makes WAY better Sense. BUT like i said, the 1 problem is the possibility of pushing the Bullet through the Jacket when loading, i have personally done that! These Stickers would Put a Stop to that, I definitely want to try them
Old 08-15-2019, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Another thing i do, and advise in my Paper Patching Video is a Set of small Side cutters, these Hakko Micro cutters is what i use, and have them in my Video. These things are AWESOME! Look at the Reviews on them.
Amazon Amazon

I can snip a Twisted Tail off Perfectly Flush to the Bullet Base, BUT that ends up making them basically the same as if you were to “Tuck” the Tail. The binder reinforcement rings that you mentioned would FIX this as well, I will DEFINITELY be trying these out
Old 08-16-2019, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lewis I believe the 1/4" is referring to the center hole. They may be closer to 1/2" in dia. They may be too big for a .45 cal. But for $2 it would be worth a try.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:19 PM
Spike

IDLewis. Just FYI the Tucked patch is referred to as a Short Patch.
Looks good.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 52bore
IDLewis. Just FYI the Tucked patch is referred to as a Short Patch.
Looks good.
Thank you Rick, I have heard that term before, but I didn’t know where it belonged? Glad to see you Post here
Old 09-02-2019, 08:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Idaholewis

Bronko, i can’t picture the reinforcement binder rings you speak of here? I am interested to see what they look like?

One BIG Downside to this Tail “Tucking” method is it increases the Chances of pushing a Bullet Through the Paper Jacket while Loading, i have actually done that, more than 1 time. Bullet Fit becomes more important, They Can NOT fit to tight.

As I’ve said before, 1 of the Tips that Lee Shaver’s Gave me was on Bullet Bases, He explained the importance of a SHARP Bullet Base, and to except NOTHING less since the Base is what actually Steers the Bullet.

How is this for Sharp Bullet Bases? These are the BACO .444-400s that i shoot SO WELL. I pushed 1 of these through the Paper Jacket 1 time, you can see how easy that could happen here, These Bases are KNIFE Sharp. I had to tinker to Combat this Problem, in which i solved
Lewis here is a pic of my 11mm bullets. Right are twisted tail, middle with binder reinforcements, and left with a 1/4" square of scotch tape.
Attached Thumbnails Paper Patching Tip-20190902_121701.jpg  

Last edited by bronko22000; 09-02-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:05 AM
Fork Horn

Lewis here is a pic of my 11mm bullets. Right are twisted tail, middle with binder reinforcements, and left with a 1/4" square of scotch tape.

They look good Bronko! I am really curious how they work out? Do the binders seem to Stick good?

I know some guy’s that use Vege Fiber and LDPE (Poly) like to Start the Wad and then set the Bullet on the Wad and Push them Down the Bore together. I use to be one of these Guy’s, That was until i Pushed a Bullet Through the Paper Jacket, actually i did this 2 Different times (The Paper Jacket Likely Failed From Sharp Base) Anyway, Because of the Solid Resistance of the Vege/LDPE Wad going down, I didn’t Feel the Bullet Push Through the Paper Jacket? When i fired Both times, there was hardly any felt Recoil, No idea where the Bullets hit? After the 2nd time of that happening, I QUIT Loading like that. I push the Wad down By itself, Then the Bullet By itself, This way i can feel a Paper Jacket Failure WITHOUT a Doubt.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:26 AM
Fork Horn

One thing i noticed, the Pink binders are a bit larger than the Patched Bullet Base and start up the Sides, Be aware this will tighten the Bullet to Bore fit, Depending on the Thickness of the binders it could be quite substantial. You Definitely want to Test it Several times for repeatable, dependable performance Before trusting it.

Here is something i tried Long ago to tighten up a Cold Clean Bore Paper Patch Bullet for Hunting (I didn’t trust the Bullet to Stay put on the Powder), I tested this Daily for about 1 Week, It worked Flawless for me, The Bullet went down GOOD N TIGHT, and the Cold Bore Shot hit the Same spot Each time i tired it. I killed my Deer on opening Day like this that Year

Last edited by Idaholewis; 09-03-2019 at 02:28 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.