Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The only thing I am working on >

The only thing I am working on

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The only thing I am working on

Old 07-11-2019, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The only thing I am working on

Several years ago I found a plastic stock for my Hawken. My idea was to have a stock that was more resistant to moisture. Well I glass bedded that stock and when I took it out of the glue I broke the wrist. I found out that the stock was 100% hollow.

I went on to use a wood stock and got a extra. But sometime in the past I came across two more. So right now I have 2 new plastic stocks. I have not seen many of these. I am guessing that it is because they stunk. Anyway. I had a friend that works at a auto body place fill the butt with a super glue. They use it to glue quarter panels on to cars and trucks. Well at 50 dollars worth of glue I said quit and I still need to fill another 2" to get it level. Then I am going to add a limb saver to that stock.

I hope it strengthens it a bunch. If not it will be a very costly mistake but I have had plenty of them.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

Something much better than superglue would be fiber enhanced epoxy. It would be tons cheaper as well. Do a few test runs mixing it up to get the strength and weight you want.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The stuff I used was not super glue. It is a two part epoxy that is used to repair cars. It is tough.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

I have never Seen, or even heard of them Stocks Ron? You got me curious enough to try and Dig up info about these things? That outfit obviously made them, But i wonder when? And for how long?

A weather proof Stock is a DARN Nice feature!! As you seen when you were here hunting with me, We can get a lot of Rain up here in the Fall (Early part of Hunting Season) The Weather really determines what Rifle a Guy wants to have with him that Day

I am curious how this Project ends up going? I have no doubts you will get it to your liking, and have a Barrel in it
Old 07-11-2019, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know much about them at all. I know I have personally seen 3 and owned them all and still have 2. I still need to fill in 2" at the butt and then add a limb saver and grind it. If you here any info let me know Like I said I don't know anything about them.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

This was the first one that broke when I had Cabala's furniture on it.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am about finished. I plan to take the pad back off and add a whit spacer between the stock and the pad.
I filled the stock with a super adhesive two part epoxy. It is used to glue side panels on cars.

I left a little room in the end so I could add a block of wood. This will be good to screw the recoil pad too.

Then I mixed up some regular two part epoxy and put it in the stock. Then pushed the wood into the stock.

Then I sanded the end flat and drilled the recoil pad out to better fit the wood block. Then I added some masking tape to help protect the stock.

The next step I plan to sand it all down and give it a coat of paint of some sort. And I might add a spacer maybe not I don't know. This stock was made to be a replacement if my hawken stock breaks.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

Looking Good Ron!! Looking forward to Seeing it all Done up How heavy are these things? Heavier than Wood?
Old 07-19-2019, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is pretty rough looking to be honest. But I don't plan to use it unless mine breaks.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by idahoron
It is pretty rough looking to be honest. But I don't plan to use it unless mine breaks.
That is the ONLY Downside to our “Hotrod Hawken” Rifles, The Fairly Slim/Trim Stocks, and fear of Cracking Them. KNOCK On Wood!!! I have never had any problems in the 3-4 years i have been Shooting them. I will say that i fear it when i Get my .54 Cal LRH out with 500 to 550 Grain Bullets, But so far so good 👍 They are pretty darn TOUGH. Making sure the Side/Lock Screw is just Snugged up, and NOT Cranked down Tight, And the Tang is Good n Tight.

I Did see a DARN NICE Laminate Stock for a Hawken, Maybe Renegade? It was on a Facebook Group a LONG time ago, I wish i had saved a picture of it, If i can find it again i will post it. Have you ever seen a Laminate Replacement Ron?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.