Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Prelim testing Lehigh “Tipped” .458X260 Sabotless >

Prelim testing Lehigh “Tipped” .458X260 Sabotless

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Prelim testing Lehigh “Tipped” .458X260 Sabotless

Old 06-18-2019, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Prelim testing Lehigh “Tipped” .458X260 Sabotless

I just shot the New “Tipped” Lehigh .458X260 Sabotless in 1 of my Sidelocks today, This was my Rice 1:20 Twist Match Grade Barrel, I decided to try the Scope base that came with the Barrel, I need to make some Changes, But it works as is, and is ROCK SOLID. I had planned to shoot 200 yards but when i got Out to my Spot it was Starting to get Windy, DARN IT!! We are expecting a Storm tomorrow, But after packing everything out there I wasn’t gonna leave without Firing a few shots My first shot felt Really good, i Swabbed the Bore and Loaded up the 2nd Shot, i ALWAYS pop 1 cap straight through after i Swab when i am shooting a Group, BUT I was in a Hurry to beat a Storm and i skipped it, My 2nd Shot was a Very slight Hangfire (My fault, i know better!!!) I call the Hangfire in the Video. I swab out and loaded Shot No. 3, That Shot felt great, just like the First Shot. As you will see in the Video my 2nd Shot (Slight hangfire) Goes a tiny bit High which is Typical of a Hangfire (highest shot) And my 3rd Shot Settles back in with Shot No. 1, Shot No. 1 and Shot No. 3 measure .551,
These Bullets Shot VERY GOOD!! This was my first outing with them, ZERO Load Development, i weighed out 80 Grain Charges of Swiss 2F Powder and Ran with it. After seeing this today I am Confident these will do good on Down the Valley I am really looking forward to getting out to 200, and 300 yards, That’s up next.

Attached Thumbnails -a3c8d8de-e1fc-4d77-a028-f300ad05880c.jpeg  
Old 06-18-2019, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

54Bore - thanks very much for shooting these today.

The bullets, or the base bullet is a .458x260 CF - sabotless and is available on the web sight. The tip (I call them a Silver Tip) is a tip that was designed to be used with a Lehigh .452x240 CF bullet. I had/have a few of them on hand which I can press into the nose of the 260.

As you know the reason I asked you to shoot these for me is, I have this vision that they might make a very good long range target/gong shooting bullet possibly for competition. I have shot the base HP bullet to 200 yards and really got great accuracy - but alas, I am a hunter not a long range shooter and from reading your posts I know you enjoy shooting long range. I am hoping they might fill this bill at some point.

You indicate 80 grains (weighed) of Swiss 2F - what would that convert to in volume? Heard a ton about Swiss but have never shot it.

It will be very interesting to follow along with your next shooting opportunity - I really hope you are able to stack at the longer ranges.

Thank you!
Old 06-18-2019, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

Mike, I use to test Volume vs Weight Grains fairly often just to see if it changed much between cans of powder? I finally Quit doing it, Volume And Weight Grains are SO close with this Swiss, many times Identical
But Since you asked, and i haven’t Tested Volume to Weight Grains in a VERY long time, I thought I’d check it again and See what it came out at? I’m pleased to say it hasn’t changed any since the last time i tried I just filled 80 Volume of Swiss 2F and checked it on my Weight Scale, I got 79.7 Grains

Old 06-18-2019, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 54bore
Mike, I use to test Volume vs Weight Grains fairly often just to see if it changed much between cans of powder? I finally Quit doing it, Volume And Weight Grains are SO close with this Swiss, many times Identical
But Since you asked, and i haven’t Tested Volume to Weight Grains in a VERY long time, I thought I’d check it again and See what it came out at? I’m pleased to say it hasn’t changed any since the last time i tried I just filled 80 Volume of Swiss 2F and checked it on my Weight Scale, I got 79.7 Grains
I did not know it was that close!

T7-2f - 100 by volume is about 78 by weight - If I remember right... I tried weighing for awhile even with BH and really did not see much difference at all versus Volume.