Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Casting today

Old 04-24-2019, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Casting today

I got all my chores done today so I decided to sit down for a few hours and cast some bullets. I went through about 15-20 lbs of lead casting .575" RBs, 250 gr REALs, and 340 gr .457" bullets that I'll lube and size down to .451" for my .45 cal 1:30 GM barrel.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's about time you got the lead out old man. Sitting on your butt all day down there in sunny Florida is going to make it hard to tackle those heights when you get back up North. I assume when you say "I got all my chores done today" you're referring to eating breakfast and watching The View.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

He had to play with the dogs too

-Jake
Old 04-25-2019, 06:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
He had to play with the dogs too

-Jake
Originally Posted by Semisane
It's about time you got the lead out old man. Sitting on your butt all day down there in sunny Florida is going to make it hard to tackle those heights when you get back up North. I assume when you say "I got all my chores done today" you're referring to eating breakfast and watching The View.
Jake: My wife and the dogs were swimming in the pool while I was working.
And Van: I did have bacon and eggs for breakfast but you couldn't pay me to watch those slimy fat a$$es on that show. And I did start walking too.
All this time I thought the dryer was shrinking my clothes...turns out it was the refrigerator!
Old 04-25-2019, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Man, I know all about that refrigerator shrink. It's the bane of my life. As for The View, it needs a subtitle. Something like The View - Brain Dead Idiots Spewing Stupidity.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was able to solve my pure lead in the pot today. I went to Wal-mart and picked up a pack of stainless steel measuring cups. Heated the lead back up and poured it into the smallest container (1/4 cup) about 1/2" thick. Let it solidify and presto - round ingots of pure lead.
After the pot was empty i refilled it with the 13 BHN alloy and cast another couple hundred 340 gr bullets for my .45-70. I should be all set for a while now with bullets. I'm still working on a load for my .45-70 so that will chew them up.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

Clem, I hear ya about that damn Refrigerator. Every time I open it the food in there tells me to eat me, no not them me, me, me. So what is a guy to do but eat them all! LOL