Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Super DISC shooting Lehigh .458x260CF Sabotless Bullet. >

Super DISC shooting Lehigh .458x260CF Sabotless Bullet.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Super DISC shooting Lehigh .458x260CF Sabotless Bullet.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Super DISC shooting Lehigh .458x260CF Sabotless Bullet.

Got out today and once a week or so ago to do more testing of this new bullet from Lehigh. As stated the bullet is labeled .458 as it is truly built for 45-70 barrels that have been converted to a muzzleloading barrel.

At .458 it is somewhat difficult to get through the crown of the regular 45 cal. muzzleloader, but once through the crown it loads very well. I have chosen to size the barbs on the bullets to .454 allowing it to pass through the crown of regular ML bore easier.

I have really good luck shooting this bullet and really good groups! But, all my testing has been done with BH-209 powder. The test today was to see if I could get similar results using T7 powder, which I normally use. It is just so much less expensive to shoot. Plus in Idaho where I am required to use cap ignition during ML season, I was really interested if T7 would get the job done.Today proved T7 works just fine! but it needs to be noted the bullet needs to be loaded in a dry barrel!

This picture shows the result of today's run to the Rock Pit.

Back in March I did another test shoot trying to compute the BC of the bullet and completing a Ballistic Chart for the bullet. I will tell you the group shot could have been tighter and would have been tighter if I was not so concerned about shooting through two chronographs especially the one at 100 yards. It would be a real pain if I were to shoot one of the chronographs. I also developed a 'Bump Stick' to help me get the bullet through the crown and started down the bore.

The rains came again this afternoon and cut the shoot short, but I got what I needed done - would have just liked to have shot a little more.

Last edited by sabotloader; 04-11-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

260 gr bullet ought to scat very well from your 45 n that powder charge