Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Using Small Pistol Primers Instead of Percussion Caps >

Using Small Pistol Primers Instead of Percussion Caps

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Using Small Pistol Primers Instead of Percussion Caps

Old 12-12-2018, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default Using Small Pistol Primers Instead of Percussion Caps

Found this method interesting if you're running low on percussion caps:

I don't know if it will also work with rifle nipples but it might.
I checked the Lowes website and this size tubing only cost $3.08 for 20 feet, or 10 feet for $1.88.
It's listed as being in stock & on the shelf at my local Lowes:--->>> https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-1-4...ing/1000180535
Old 12-12-2018, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Many years ago Knight had the original orange FPJs with a insert in them for centerfire primers. That was like almost 20 years ago.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

Someone posted that the lip of the hammer cup on their rifle comes into contact with the tube and prevents the pistol primer from being struck, so it won't fire.
The tube may be too wide for the lip of the hammer cup on some rifles and interfere with the hammer falling all of the way to strike the primer.
I've seen mini-magnets that may be able to be placed inside of the hammer cup that might solve the problem on rifles that have this lip interference.
It would take some experimentation to see if works.

The mini-magnets are sold in bulk in various diameters & thicknesses and are relatively strong.
It would be a small project to fit a mini-magnet inside the hammer cup to see if that would provide enough clearance to eliminate the interference.
Or perhaps the outer diameter of the tube would need to be modified by shaving it down in the right way.
It may not be same on all rifles since their hammer cups may have different sizes, depths and shapes.
The pistol primers may work with some rifles and not others depending on the size of the hammer cup unless an adaptation can be made.

I would like to hear more feedback about whether the pistol primers will work with different rifles or not.
If anyone tries it please let us know how it works out.

Last edited by arcticap; 12-14-2018 at 03:46 PM.