Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Cleaning with Ballistol >

Cleaning with Ballistol

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning with Ballistol

Old 11-12-2018, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Cleaning with Ballistol

I've heard about this product for a while now and I finally got my hands on a small bottle of it. Now, my question is: How do I go about using it to clean my muzzleloaders? Do I use it straight out of the bottle, dilute it with water, I don't know.
Someone let me know.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

For black powder and most subs its mixed with water.
https://ballistol.com/uses/firearm-cleaning-lubricant/

Since Ballistol emulsifies with water, mix one part Ballistol and two parts water to make one of the best black powder solvents available.
Ballistol can be used straight or as an emulsification to neutralize potassium salts
Old 11-12-2018, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

People use a wide variation of different concentrations of it for range cleaning, spraying down & swabbing.
However, a majority of people would probably trend toward using it at 100% strength after a thorough cleaning and drying, as a rust inhibitor.

One thread below has some interesting answers.
I think that those most experienced with it use a lighter concentration at the range, from 50/50 water to 5 parts water to 1 part Ballistol (>20% Ballistol).

They use 50/50 for cleaning at home and finish up with a wipe down at full strength after a normal barrel washing and drying.
Some may also use it differently for cleaning, such as 40% Ballistol with 60% water.
But there are military applications for it which seem to indicate to use 50/50 for cleaning followed by 100%.--->>> https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...use-it.328884/

Where it gets more confusing is when it's used as a patch lube.
It's used in much lighter concentrations with water and then allowed to dry, leaving just a hint of an oily film on the patch.
That concentration may be as heavy as 4:1 or as light as 8 or 9 parts water to 1 part Ballistol.--->>> https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...h-lube.421044/

Last edited by arcticap; 11-12-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:08 AM
Spike

I have cleaned my muzzleloaders with Ballistol exclusively going on the second season now with no issues. I shoot BH209 and it seems to clean faster than Hoppe's. I do not dilute it...Use full strength.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, Blackhorn is more similar to a centerfire powder than it is to something like Triple7. It does however contain some amounts of corrosive organic ingredients. When Ballistol was invented that is the type of powder it was "more or less" designed to clean. If i was going to thin it with anything (for cleaning BH209) it would be something like 100% isopropyl or Isobutyl alcohol. Ballistol already has isobutyl in it so its fine.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks guys. I mixed the Ballistol one part Ballistol and 2 parts water. I tried it in my .45 Hawken that I've been shooting a lot lately. I first ran a dry swab down the bore followed by and alcohol swab to remove any oil. Then with the 1:2 mixture I swabbed the bore again. I guess I was doing a good job before because the patch came out clean as a whistle. I ran a couple dry patches down the bore and then a patch with Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner.