Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Finally figured it out!! >

Finally figured it out!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finally figured it out!!

Old 11-02-2003, 09:56 PM

Default Finally figured it out!!

No one probably remembers my post from about 3 months ago about my .45 cal Ultramag Firebolt CVA, but I had a tremendous problem with getting a group to suit me. I finally figured it out and am shooting tighter groups than I have ever seen a blackpwder shoot. I was using a 225 gr. Powerbelt bullet with 150 gr. of pyrodex pellets before. I never knew where it would hit, up, down, left right; just all over the place. I decided to change bullets and load down. I switched to the new 200 gr. TC Shockwave and shoot 100 gr. of pellets. I can put a 7/8" 3 shot group at 100 yards. I also use a spit patch between every shot (another thing I never did before). I just harvested a doe with it last Friday and hit her as perfect as you can get at 80 yards out. Blackpowder season ended today in Oklahoma leaving me no chance to harvest a mature buck, but I just wanted to post this to tell everyone that helped me thanx. I can shoot my gun with confidence now, knowing if that big sad daddy does happen to walk out, my gun will preform like it should. Thanx again!!
Old 11-03-2003, 06:19 AM

Default RE: Finally figured it out!!

Conrats on getting your doe. I too as you know have a CVA Firebolt 50 cal with scope and was shooting 295 Powerbelts with 150 grain. I will try to pickup the 200 TC Shockwave and try that bullet the next time I visit the range. Who sells them??

Tomster
Old 11-05-2003, 07:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on getting the deer. It is nice to know the rifle will do what it is supposed to do. How far did the deer run after being hit with that load? Sounds like a good load that will shoot that tight of a group...
Old 11-05-2003, 10:05 PM

Tomster, I bought them at a local gun warehouse in El Reno, OKlahoma called " Sears" . That is the last name of the guy that owns the store and it has been there for many years. But I think I have seen them in the RedHead magazine, you might check it out.

Cayugad, you' re right, it is a good load, better than I could ever imagine that gun could shoot from the way it was preforming with the previous load I was using. She only ran about 50 yards and killed over in the middle of the stubble field. Didn' t have do any tracking or anything, it was nice.